math question

wendycarson

ok so my name is wendy and I am going back to school for my high school deploma. Math has changed and I have forgotten so much. I don't know how they got the answer to this basic math problem. Any help to break it down for me so I can understand it would help so much.
this is the problem
1/2 x 5 x 4 = 10

please help me break this down. Thank you

The easiest breakdown that I see here is:

4 times 5 is 20

1/2 of 20 is 10

We can break down the given expression this way because whenever a bunch of numbers are all multiplied together, something called the "Commutative Property of Multiplication" tells us that we can multiply those numbers in any order we please.

Wendy, most people forget their math after they have been away from it for a long time. If you find arithmetic with fractions difficult, you will need to spend more time doing extra homework. I am guessing that your current school will teach this material before awarding diplomas, but if not there are many web sites with lessons, examples, and worksheets.

The best advice that I can offer you is to ensure that you have completely memorized the multiplication table through 12x12.

It is much harder to do arithmetic with fractions if you cannot factor numbers like 27 into 3x9.

Please let us know if you need more help. (Kindly begin a new thread for each new topic of discussion.)

Also, here is a link to a site with lessons on elementary arithmetic with fractions.

Cheers ~ Mark :cool:

Math question

Thank you for your help and I will take your advice and go back to elementary math. I think I need to start over in some areas. I never learned them, I think I need too.
Again thank you so much.
Wendy

Hi

Thank you for your help and I will take your advice and go back to elementary math. I think I need to start over in some areas. I never learned them, I think I need too.
Again thank you so much.
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Just dropped by see what is going on here :) and read your prob. Yes, I agree you need to study elementary math, from there, you can be able to recall and understand Math much better and would appreciate it more. :) keep in touch!