Math struggles

Student2356

Hi I am a college student that is really struggling with these mathematics.
I am diagnosed with autism and have trouble paying attention.
I kindly ask for your advice since I found this site via Google.
My situation is that I have trouble keeping up with the math material since it takes me all
night to understand the concepts for either Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Calc 2.
I have tried asking my professors for help and my fellow students but I just don't get it.
I have been depressed over this and feeling extremely helpless not even Youtube
videos help me.
What should I do?

I was struggling with problem 15

Attachments

• 084DE06A-6959-43B0-951A-D003BCE2A413.png
    084DE06A-6959-43B0-951A-D003BCE2A413.png
    690 KB · Views: 21
I hope that you are not taking Calculus 2, Discrete Math and Linear Algebra at the same time. I too would be depressed if I was taking those three classes.
I bet that you are attending a community college since 4 year college would not let you take Linear Algebra after calculus 1. Unless a student is exceptional in math, they should not take Linear Algebra until after calculus 3. You don't need much calculus to do linear algebra but you need the mathematical maturity from taking three semesters of calculus in order to be ready for linear algebra.

I found that solving simple problems helps me to concentrate on the material. Once I feel confident with simple problems I try harder ones.
Good luck, and feel free to post more specific requests.

I hope that you are not taking Calculus 2, Discrete Math and Linear Algebra at the same time. I too would be depressed if I was taking those three classes.
I bet that you are attending a community college since 4 year college would not let you take Linear Algebra after calculus 1. Unless a student is exceptional in math, they should not take Linear Algebra until after calculus 3. You don't need much calculus to do linear algebra but you need the mathematical maturity from taking three semesters of calculus in order to be ready for linear algebra.
Hello @Steven G

I am taking all three of those classes. I didn't have much of a choice sir. My advisor made my schedule and I had to follow it since the classes I needed to take are some Comp Sci classes and math classes. I am in a community college like you stated. I am just scared right now I used to be an A student and now these professors based on the topics they give are scaring me.

Two responses.

First, I never attempted to take three math classes at one time. I did once take abstract algebra and numerical methods at the same time, and that was stressful. I feel that an advisor who recommends that someone suffering from autism take three hard math classes at once gives very bad advice. The only exception I can imagine is if an advisee insisted that he take a course with three prerequisites in the very next semester, then the advisor would have to assign all three courses at once, but SHOULD DO SO ONLY UNDER PROTEST. My advice is to go back to the advisor and get him to approve dropping at least one of those courses.

Second, I do not try to respond to questions involving linear algebra. But I notice that you have not got help on the specific problem you asked about. The way this site works is that you will get help after you explain what is preventing you starting out or after you show your work up to the point where you get stuck.

Last edited:
Two comments.
As a college student you take the classes that you want to take whenever you want to take it (you must however obey the prerequisite rules). You are a college student, read the catalogue and only take classes that being you closer to earning your degree.
No student is ready to take Linear Algebra after calculus 1 unless they are amazingly brilliant. The community colleges offer linar algebra to students who have taken calculus only because they would never get enough students to run the class. Please, do not continue with linear algebra until you have taken calculus 3.

I asked about # 13 & 14 because they seem easier.
Also, I found it difficult to understand your handwriting, partially because the page is translucent and there is text on the other side.

I agree that you should take a look at #13 and #14. It's the same problem, only smaller.

For #15 you are expected to find a transformation vector that takes vectors in B1 to vectors in B2. So you need to find the form of the matrix
[math]v_{B2} = \left [ \begin{matrix} a &b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & j \end{matrix} \right ] v_{B1}[/math]
You have three vectors in B1 and know what the result of the transformation. Plug those vectors in and get nine equations in the unknowns. It's not as bad as it sounds. The third vector in B1 gives 3 unknowns right there. Work on it a bit. It took me less than two pages and I write big.

Give it a shot and post back with a more readable result.

-Dan

Hi there.
I hope this image is clearer to see.
I apologize I have a lot on my plate.
This is the answer I got.
Side Note: I am trying to find a way to manage my time for these courses any advice on that. I understand that some recommend me to drop it but I feel I can do it I just need patience and discipline. I am trying to improve myself as the semester as I have some last tests I have for Tuesday and Wednesday for next week and finals a couple days later.
Finals: June 8th Linear Algebra
June 9th Calc 2
June 13th Discrete Math.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
It is much more readable -- thank you. But now I cannot understand how to interpret what you've written. Is there some specific method you've been taught and which you are applying there?

Also, I still don't know if you have tried simpler problems which are in [imath]\mathbb R^2[/imath], like # 13 & 14.

Last edited:
It looks like you are doing Gaussian elimination on [imath]B_2[/imath] while converting [imath]B_1[/imath] to the transition matrix, right? Both your transition matrix and [imath]\left[\mathbf v\right]_{B_2}[/imath] look good to me.

Hi @blamocur i have done problem 13.
Essentially I do the problems assign by my Professors syllabus. I hardly get time to finish on time since I have many other stuff to do for other classes that I either forget or end up procastinating.
I am trying to avoid that habit but have been unsuccessful.

Hi @blamocur i have done problem 13.
Essentially I do the problems assign by my Professors syllabus. I hardly get time to finish on time since I have many other stuff to do for other classes that I either forget or end up procastinating.
I am trying to avoid that habit but have been unsuccessful.
Also the methods I use are based on my professors notes I can show them to you.

Attachments

• Mat56_Lesson28_Coordinates and Change of Basis (2).pdf
    33.5 KB · Views: 11
As I mentioned in my previous post, your solution looks good to me. Do you still have any questions about your homework or about your notes?