Math teacher here :)

Math_Den

Hi all,

I am a math teacher and spend a lot of my time marking and planning classes. I spend up to 60 hours per week doing this. I'd be interested to hear what tricks people here use to speed up their work or to save time. Thanks! :)

You can hand pick your students so they always get it and never need any individual support.

There is something to be said for some efficiencies, certainly. Wasting time is not a good idea, but speed and time-saving don't strike me as rational goals if you actualy care about your students.

Maybe I'm overthinking your question.

Last edited:
student

I am a 4th grade student but I hear that kids learn best from others. I can be of alot of help:cool:

You can hand pick your students so they always get it and never need any individual support.

There is something to be said for some efficiencies, certainly. Wasting time is not a good idea, but speed and time-saving don't strike me as rational goals if you actualy care about your students.

Maybe I'm overthinking your question.

I completely agree with you - that’s why I’m asking. I don’t want to save time at the expense of the students, regardless of whether they’re stronger, weaker, more or less engaged. I still want the classroom experience to be great for them, and I want to do a great job. The time factor, however, is killing me!!

same problem with mine.

Hi all,

I am a math teacher and spend a lot of my time marking and planning classes. I spend up to 60 hours per week doing this. I'd be interested to hear what tricks people here use to speed up their work or to save time. Thanks! :)

Hi Math_Den

I am a Math teacher too. I have been teaching less than 3 years and we have similar problem on how to save time marking and planning of classes, and I am also looking forward to hear what others could contribute or perhaps help to lessen this problem. Keep in touch!

Hi all, I am a math teacher and spend a lot of my time marking and planning classes. I spend up to 60 hours per week doing this. I'd be interested to hear what tricks people here use to speed up their work or to save time. Thanks! :)
Just some suggestions to pick and choose from (or ignore). Some suggestions may be appropriate for some grade levels and not for others. 1) Let students reduce the burden of marking papers by making them produce neat work. 1a) Insist on legible work. All numbers must be neatly formed, with no confusion between 9s and 4s, 5s and 3s, 1s and 7s. 1b) All work must be of proper size, neither too big nor too small, and must be stacked in a neat, vertical display, using lined paper. 1c) All steps must be shown in arriving at a solution. 1d) All final answers shall have a rectangle drawn around them. 2) Give students the answers right before homework is handed in, and have students mark each problem with an x or a check mark, then write the score at the top of the paper (8/10, for example). This should aid the teacher in reviewing the work efficiently. 2a) Take a quick survey by show of hands on how many students got each problem correct. If the majority of students could not do a problem, work through it right away, as this may aid them on the next night's homework. Additionally, the instructor does not have to perform corrections on each student's paper; the students can refer to their notes. (Make clear that students MUST copy full solutions into their notes.) This can be done for as many problems as the instructor deems appropriate. This type of instant feedback is helpful in that it identifies problem areas and allows the instructor to address them right away. It is more important than a carefully prepared lesson plan (IMHO). Using more classroom time in this interactive/reactive fashion also means that less time needs to be spent on the lesson plan. 3) Randomly call upon students to write their solution to a single homework problem on the blackboard. Have as many students as possible doing this all at once. This has multiple effects. It saves the instructor from having to write out the problem solutions, but at the same time, gives the instructor multiple examples to review with the class. The instructor can comment on accuracy and legibility as well as the proper steps shown in arriving at an answer. This helps the entire class understand the level of work expected. Additionally, it gives encouragement for students to do their homework in order to avoid the embarrassment of admitting in front of the class that they have not done it. (It also allows the instructor to scan the classroom for students who are sitting at their desks scribbling away furiously as they try to copy all the homework problems that they failed to do.) 4) Students can either correct their own homework papers or pass them across to other students (depending on how homework is being counted in grading and the temptation for last second "alterations"). (Short quizzes can optionally be graded this way, too.) 4a) If a student corrects another student's paper, he/she should sign his/her name next to the score at the top of the paper. This encourages accuracy and honesty, as the paper will ultimately be reviewed by the teacher anyway. 5) Make clear to students that it is their responsibility to READ THE BOOK in addition to the material the instructor presents in class. Reinforce this by pointing out specific examples in the book that will aid students in their assignments. This should aid in student comprehension and improved homework performance. When students are learning more efficiently and doing their work more accurately, this should result in fewer mistakes that the instructor has to correct, thus saving the instructor time as well. Hopefully, the text books provided will be of good quality with lots of example problems. Too often, students expect to be "spoon fed" by teachers throughout their entire academic careers and do not "learn how to learn" on their own. I see students all the time who cannot do a homework problem from their text book -- only because they have not bothered to flip back two pages to the example that lays it out clearly. Students will be as lazy as you let them be; that's human nature. Don't let them be lazy. 6) After all students have completed a test, post complete solutions (online or on a blackboard, overhead projector/computer display, whatever…). This reduces corrections/comments on individual test papers. Only points awarded for each problem need appear. If students have questions on how points were awarded, they can address that with the teacher individually after/outside of class. (Sure, you'll have to create a new test the following year, but that's mostly just a matter of changing numbers around in the problems. Once you have 3 or 4 versions of a test, you can just cycle through them. You can also use different versions for students doing make-up tests if you wish to post test solutions before all students have taken the tests.) 7) Don't slave over lesson plans. Have a few good examples worked out, present them, then switch to "interactive" mode: Ask for questions. Make students work a problem(s)/instant quiz(?), graded by students. Hand survey results/accuracy. Then answer new questions, do more examples, or move on to new material. Summary: Make students do more, so the teacher can work more efficiently. PS I put paragraph spacing between all these points, but they are being removed when I hit "Preview Post."

To wjm11:

What a WONDERFUL and informative response! I commend you for the effort you took to type this in, and for the thoughtful comments you've made!

If more teachers used the steps you've outlined here, we would surely find more responsible students! After all, the learner bears at least as much responsibility in the learning process as the teacher!

I'm retired after 35 years of being in the classroom...much of what you've outlined here is familiar to me, but it took me a LONG time to figure some of it out on my own. Hopefully, new teachers who "read" here may learn from your astute advice.

I think we've "worked together" in some other environments before...nice to see you here!

Tchrjan (from the old AAC days)

To wjm11:

What a WONDERFUL and informative response! I commend you for the effort you took to type this in, and for the thoughtful comments you've made!

If more teachers used the steps you've outlined here, we would surely find more responsible students! After all, the learner bears at least as much responsibility in the learning process as the teacher!

I'm retired after 35 years of being in the classroom...much of what you've outlined here is familiar to me, but it took me a LONG time to figure some of it out on my own. Hopefully, new teachers who "read" here may learn from your astute advice.

I think we've "worked together" in some other environments before...nice to see you here!

Tchrjan (from the old AAC days)

To Mrspi:

Thank you for your kind words. It is an honor to receive them from you. Warmest regards! :D

Just some suggestions to pick and choose from (or ignore). Some suggestions may be appropriate for some grade levels and not for others. 1) Let students reduce the burden of marking papers by making them produce neat work. 1a) Insist on legible work. All numbers must be neatly formed, with no confusion between 9s and 4s, 5s and 3s, 1s and 7s. 1b) All work must be of proper size, neither too big nor too small, and must be stacked in a neat, vertical display, using lined paper. 1c) All steps must be shown in arriving at a solution. 1d) All final answers shall have a rectangle drawn around them. 2) Give students the answers right before homework is handed in, and have students mark each problem with an x or a check mark, then write the score at the top of the paper (8/10, for example). This should aid the teacher in reviewing the work efficiently. 2a) Take a quick survey by show of hands on how many students got each problem correct. If the majority of students could not do a problem, work through it right away, as this may aid them on the next night's homework. Additionally, the instructor does not have to perform corrections on each student's paper; the students can refer to their notes. (Make clear that students MUST copy full solutions into their notes.) This can be done for as many problems as the instructor deems appropriate. This type of instant feedback is helpful in that it identifies problem areas and allows the instructor to address them right away. It is more important than a carefully prepared lesson plan (IMHO). Using more classroom time in this interactive/reactive fashion also means that less time needs to be spent on the lesson plan. 3) Randomly call upon students to write their solution to a single homework problem on the blackboard. Have as many students as possible doing this all at once. This has multiple effects. It saves the instructor from having to write out the problem solutions, but at the same time, gives the instructor multiple examples to review with the class. The instructor can comment on accuracy and legibility as well as the proper steps shown in arriving at an answer. This helps the entire class understand the level of work expected. Additionally, it gives encouragement for students to do their homework in order to avoid the embarrassment of admitting in front of the class that they have not done it. (It also allows the instructor to scan the classroom for students who are sitting at their desks scribbling away furiously as they try to copy all the homework problems that they failed to do.) 4) Students can either correct their own homework papers or pass them across to other students (depending on how homework is being counted in grading and the temptation for last second "alterations"). (Short quizzes can optionally be graded this way, too.) 4a) If a student corrects another student's paper, he/she should sign his/her name next to the score at the top of the paper. This encourages accuracy and honesty, as the paper will ultimately be reviewed by the teacher anyway. 5) Make clear to students that it is their responsibility to READ THE BOOK in addition to the material the instructor presents in class. Reinforce this by pointing out specific examples in the book that will aid students in their assignments. This should aid in student comprehension and improved homework performance. When students are learning more efficiently and doing their work more accurately, this should result in fewer mistakes that the instructor has to correct, thus saving the instructor time as well. Hopefully, the text books provided will be of good quality with lots of example problems. Too often, students expect to be "spoon fed" by teachers throughout their entire academic careers and do not "learn how to learn" on their own. I see students all the time who cannot do a homework problem from their text book -- only because they have not bothered to flip back two pages to the example that lays it out clearly. Students will be as lazy as you let them be; that's human nature. Don't let them be lazy. 6) After all students have completed a test, post complete solutions (online or on a blackboard, overhead projector/computer display, whatever…). This reduces corrections/comments on individual test papers. Only points awarded for each problem need appear. If students have questions on how points were awarded, they can address that with the teacher individually after/outside of class. (Sure, you'll have to create a new test the following year, but that's mostly just a matter of changing numbers around in the problems. Once you have 3 or 4 versions of a test, you can just cycle through them. You can also use different versions for students doing make-up tests if you wish to post test solutions before all students have taken the tests.) 7) Don't slave over lesson plans. Have a few good examples worked out, present them, then switch to "interactive" mode: Ask for questions. Make students work a problem(s)/instant quiz(?), graded by students. Hand survey results/accuracy. Then answer new questions, do more examples, or move on to new material. Summary: Make students do more, so the teacher can work more efficiently. PS I put paragraph spacing between all these points, but they are being removed when I hit "Preview Post."

Hi wjm11, Whoah! excellent, I am learning too. Thank you for this information and I am looking forward to acquire more. It is a great help for me. :) :) :)

Hi wjm11,

WOW! What a great response. Thanks heaps for all of these suggestions - I really appreciate the time and effort you put into responding to me. Thanks again! I’ll be sure to contribute to any (other) time-saving measures I find. :)

Hi

Hi Math_Den

I am a Math teacher too. I have been teaching less than 3 years and we have similar problem on how to save time marking and planning of classes, and I am also looking forward to hear what others could contribute or perhaps help to lessen this problem. Keep in touch!

Hi Hill_Runner,

What's up? Do you find any interesting solutions or ideas about the prob we had? I have been searching it thru google and I have found some suggestions which I think would be best also to use. this might help you too. http://www.educationoasis.com/resources/Articles/time_saving_tips.htm give it a try! :)

hi, i am a remedial math tutor in a CUNY college. i find, ESPECIALLY with weaker students, that the only way for a student to grasp the material, they must UNDERSTAND, not just know "rules". this works 99.9% of the time. so my suggestion...don't simply tell students how a problem is solved, show them WHY the formulas and methods work.

interestingly, the hardest part of tutoring remedial math is adding/subtracting positive/negative numbers. the reason is surprising, the students do not know what a number is, therefore cannot wrap their minds around manipulating them. however, once they do, (and the same with fractions, all the way to higher levels), they tend to enjoy it, as they now feel like they "own" numbers and math.

good luck with everything!!

Hi

hi, i am a remedial math tutor in a CUNY college. i find, ESPECIALLY with weaker students, that the only way for a student to grasp the material, they must UNDERSTAND, not just know "rules". this works 99.9% of the time. so my suggestion...don't simply tell students how a problem is solved, show them WHY the formulas and methods work.

interestingly, the hardest part of tutoring remedial math is adding/subtracting positive/negative numbers. the reason is surprising, the students do not know what a number is, therefore cannot wrap their minds around manipulating them. however, once they do, (and the same with fractions, all the way to higher levels), they tend to enjoy it, as they now feel like they "own" numbers and math.

good luck with everything!!

Hi Berni2723,

I am interested with your suggestion as well, thank you for that. I am sure this would help. :) However; I am also searching for sites that would probably have additional solution. Keep in touch! Thanks again!

A solution to save time marking!

Hi Math_Den

Hi Hill_Runner,

I have found this amazing site http://www.savetimemarking.com/ ,a BIG help!!! in marking papers for our students. The site is truly amazing, it is the answer to our problems on marking papers. The site might not look awesome but the SERVICES is extremely amazing, I encourage you to visit/check the said site, see and experience it for yourself. Let me know what you think after. :) Keep in touch! :)