Math Word Problem Grade 6

okokokok

Albert had $120 more than Benny. Everyday, Albert had spent $24 and Benny had spent $18. After Albert had spent all his money, benny still had $120 left. How much money did they both have in thefirst place?

Albert had $120 more than Benny. Everyday, Albert had spent $24 and Benny had spent $18. After Albert had spent all his money, benny still had $120 left. How much money did they both have in thefirst place?
What is the FIND of the problem

How much money did they both have in the first place?​
Assume

the amount of money Albert started with = A

the amount of money Benny started with = A - 120 (because Albert had $120 more than Benny)

continue.....

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Interesting little doozy!. I love it.
I have learned here that you describe the problem as if it was some kind real-life situation going on, or that went on. It even has characters! :)

Characters
Albert =A
Benny= B

A
= $120 more than B
A−−−→ SPENT $24 EVERY DAY
B−−−−→′′ $18 " .

A= spent it all
B= had $120 left at the end
The great FIND
How much money did they both had at the start, among the two of them?
Go ahead, the table has been set!

Interesting little doozy!. I love it.
I have learned here that you describe the problem as if it was some kind real-life situation going on, or that went on. It even has characters! :)

Characters
Albert =A
Benny= B

A
= $120 more than B
A−−−→ SPENT $24 EVERY DAY
B−−−−→′′ $18 " .

A= spent it all
B= had $120 left at the end
The great FIND
How much money did they both had at the start, among the two of them?
Go ahead, the table has been set!
You need to be careful about using "=" sign - @steve has warned you about this before. The way you wrote it became all nonsense.

you wrote: ............... Albert =A ........... and....................... A= $120 more than B .....................and............. A= spent it all

Now if we use "general" rule (definition) of "="sign then it becomes:

$120 more than B = spent it all ............................................(1)

What does that "mathematical" statement mean in "words" ?

It is admirable that you are trying to "teach" - but you need to make sure that you do not create more "confusion" in the process.

And give sometime to the student to digest previous solution & respond. If the student did not respond within an hour - s/he probably did not "understand" the previous response. In that case, respond and explain further. These are NOT rules of the forum - a general guideline I follow.

Creating "khan-fusion" is my job.

You need to be careful about using "=" sign - @steve has warned you about this before. The way you wrote it became all nonsense.

you wrote: ............... Albert =A ........... and....................... A= $120 more than B .....................and............. A= spent it all

Now if we use "general" rule (definition) of "="sign then it becomes:

$120 more than B = spent it all ............................................(1)

What does that "mathematical" statement mean in "words" ?

It is admirable that you are trying to "teach" - but you need to make sure that you do not create more "confusion" in the process.

And give sometime to the student to digest previous solution & respond. If the student did not respond within an hour - s/he probably did not "understand" the previous response. In that case, respond and explain further. These are NOT rules of the forum - a general guideline I follow.

Creating "khan-fusion" is my job.
My apologies, Doc. You're right.

Can I give it my try here?, or do you want me to open a thread. I am interested in the problem and worked on it for 2 hours.

Can I give it my try here?, or do you want me to open a thread. I am interested in the problem and worked on it for 2 hours.
Notice that the student did NOT post ANY work.

So, you should provide "hints" only.

I assume you have reviewed your response (of hints) - and in that case please step in.

Doc Khan, I think the post has gone cold. I am asking permission to open this in a new thread of my one and try to work it. I have done something an I would like to see if it is good.

Although I am not Doc Khan (he's in the corner), since it has been a few days since the post was made and we have not heard back from the OP I give you permission to try to solve this problem.

Doc Khan, I think the post has gone cold. I am asking permission to open this in a new thread of my one and try to work it. I have done something an I would like to see if it is good.
Eddy, please continue solving the problem in this thread - so that there is less confusion.

Although I am not Doc Khan (he's in the corner), since it has been a few days since the post was made and we have not heard back from the OP I give you permission to try to solve this problem.
lol, hey ,Steve, of course, they have meaning and carry a lot of weight, but a mod's word is the mod's word ! ?

the great FIND is how much money they had at the beginning. I interpret that to mean How much each one had
well, the twO EQUATIONS I HAVE SET UP ARE:

A ---- Albert
B------Benny
t= after a certain number of days...because it says every day A spent this and B spent that amount.
until A had no money left and Benny had still $120 left

They spent so that means less of what they initially had which led me to subtraction.
[math]A-24t =0[/math][math]B-18t=120[/math]
I can find the value of A like this,
A-B=120 ( What Albert had minus what Benny had =120
[math]A=120 + B[/math]So,
[math]A-24(t)=0[/math][math]B-18(t)=120[/math]
I am pluggin' in the value of A.
[math]120+B-24(t)=0[/math][math]B-18(T)=120[/math]rearranging by simplifying the first equation we get,
[math]B-24(t)=-120[/math][math]B-18(T)=120[/math]
I am going to subtract equation 2 from equation 1 to get the value for t
I like to do it this way because it is clearer to me
[math]B-B=0[/math][math]-18t - (-24t)=-18t + 24t=6t[/math][math]120- (-120)=120+120=240[/math]so, I have,
[math]6t=240[/math]diving both sides by 6
[math]t=40[/math]Now that i have the value for t i can plpug it in the equations
I will start with Albert
[math]A-24(t)=0[/math][math]A-24(40)=0[/math][math]A-960=0[/math][math]A=960[/math]
So, Albert had 960 dollars at the beginning.
Now, Benny
[math]B-18(40)=120[/math][math]B-720=120[/math][math]B-720+720=120+720[/math][math]B=840[/math]So, Benny had $840 at the beginning.

Albert had spent all his money, benny still had $120 left.
Did you check if your solution meets this condition? .......................... reporting from a dark-dark corner for not checking my answer

Sorry I had to check in the equation for Benny

Last edited:
960−840=120
Here we go again - did you think through your answer? What is 960? What is 840?

You are trying to check - I hope - whether the condition that "............. benny still had $120 left"

Did Benny start with $960? Did Benny spend $840?

It was!
Thanks for letting me solve it. it is an interesting problem, but more like in my wheelhouse because I have done quite a few similar to this one here with you all.