math

melbal

A CAN'S DIAMETER IS 3 INCHES, AND ITS HEIGHT IS 8 INCHES. WHAT IS THE VOLUME OF THE CAN? DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO PROBLEM!

I'm guessing this is a formula memorization problem.

Generally: 2*pi*r*h

You have Diameter = 3 in
This makes Radius = 1.5 in

Plug and chug!

Volume is area big man - you'll need a squared in their somewhere

Try - area of circle = pi*r(sq) and take into account the height - h = pi*r(sq)h

Your diametre is 3in so radius = 1.5in

So pi*1.5(sq)*8.......... youll be looking round the 55 odd inch(sq) mark

Yikes! How did I do that?

I'm guessing this is a formula memorization problem.

Generally: Volume = \(\displaystyle \pi\cdot r^{2}\cdot h\)

You have Diameter = 3 in
This makes Radius = 1.5 in

Plug and chug!

dinz1982 said:
Volume is area big man (?)- you'll need a squared in their somewhere

Try - area of circle = pi*r(sq) and take into account the height - h --- volume = pi*r(sq)h

Your diametre is 3in so radius = 1.5in

So pi*1.5(sq)*8.......... youll be looking round the 55 odd cubic inch mark

thanks for the modifications there bud.... although i think the correct provision of the required formula was all he needed -i just wanted to ensure he had the fundamentals presented to him correctly .... Its not the border around the essay that matters, its the content of the said essay that will win you the DUX!

It is nice to see you guys all support each other in times of error though!!

dinz1982 said:
It is nice to see you guys all support each other in times of error though!!
Making errors is part of life, plus an excellent way to learn.
May I suggest you make a few.

It is because we are willing to respond, and quickly, that sometimes errors are made. I generally answer extremely quickly and manage to misread a problem statement from time to time. I take correction well from those with a desire to help. If we had fear to respond, and never responded, there never would be errors. I do not know of an instance where errors were made deliberately. I may have done that for some pedagogical purpose, I suppose, but I do not recall the occasion at this time. If we subjected responses to some approval process, we would lose far too much time and would fail to be of benefit to so many.

Please limit your participation to the purpose of the message board. Your personal agendas should be posted elsewhere, a private blog, perhaps.

RBGTHGANH