Mathematical Induction: Involving Inequalities

ku1005

Hey guys, with these Mathematical Induction probs, i seem to be able to do those involving "=" signs, but find it really hard to follow the methods I have seen where inequalitites are involved?...for example:

RQP: 6n+12<3^n for every integer n>= 4

I did:

Let S(n) be the statement "6n+12<3^n for every integer n>= 4"

1) Prove S(4) is true:

6(4)+12< 3^4
36<81 Therefore S(4) is true

2) Let k be in the set of positive integers where k>=4 and assume S(k) to be true, therefore

S(k) = 6k+12<3^k

Now proove k+1 is true

6(k+1) + 12 < 3^(k+1)

~ (6k+12) + 6 < (3^k) . 3

In this last step, I recognise that on one side we have added 6 to the original LHS while on the other side we have multiplied RHS of original by 3

BUT....im unsure as to how I use this efficeintly to prove?

any pointers as to where to go from here would be appreciated greatly !!!

cheers

rhys

I think this problem may belong in the "Advanced" section for future knowledge.

Assume \(\displaystyle 6k+12 \,\, < \,\, 3^k\) then,

\(\displaystyle 6(k+1) + 12 = (6k+12) + 6 \,\, \le \,\, 3^k+6\)

Since \(\displaystyle k \,\, \ge \,\, 4\), \(\displaystyle 3^k \,\, \ge \,\, 3^4 \,\, = 81 > 6\)

Thus, \(\displaystyle 3^k+6 \,\, < \,\, 3^k + 3^k + 3^k = 3^k(1+1+1) = 3^{k+1}\)

Hello, ku1005!

Prove: \(\displaystyle \,6n\,+\,12\:<\:3^n\) for every integer \(\displaystyle n\,\geq\,4\)

I did:
. . Let \(\displaystyle S(n)\) be the statementL \(\displaystyle \:6n\,+\,12\:<\:3^n\) for every integer \(\displaystyle n\,\geq\,4\)

1) Prove S(4) is true:
. . \(\displaystyle 6(4)\,+\,12\:<\: 3^4\)
. . \(\displaystyle 36\,<\,81\;\) . . . Therefore \(\displaystyle S(4)\) is true.

2) Let \(\displaystyle k\) be in the set of positive integers where \(\displaystyle k\,\geq\,4\) and assume \(\displaystyle S(k)\) to be true.

Hence, \(\displaystyle \:S(k):\;6k\,+\,12\:<\:3^k\)

Add \(\displaystyle 6\) to both sides: \(\displaystyle \:6k\,+\,12\,+\,6\:<\:3^k\,+\,6\)

. . And we have: \(\displaystyle \:6(k\,+\,1)\,+\,12\;< \;3^k\,+\,6\;\) [1]

Consider: \(\displaystyle \:3 \:< \:3^k\) for \(\displaystyle k\,\geq\,4\)

Multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle 2:\;6\:<\:2\cdot3^k\)

Add \(\displaystyle 3^k\) to both sides: \(\displaystyle \:3^k\,+\,6\:< \:3^k\,+\,2\cdot3^k \:=\:3\cdot3^k\:=\:3^{k+1}\)

Then [1] becomes: \(\displaystyle \:6(k\,+\,1)\,+\,12\:<\:3^k\,+\,6\:<\:3^{k+1}\)

. . Therefore: \(\displaystyle \;6(k\,+\,1)\,+\,12\:<\:3^{k+1}\)

We have proved \(\displaystyle S(k+1)\) . . . the induction proof is complete.

sorry daon...i didnt realise was advanced.....also...how did you know to do what you did???....like does that come with practice???...irrespective...thanks for you help!!...i understand your workings fine!