Maths homework

Isabel12144

I've just been given a maths homework and one of the questions is:
Copy out and replace the asterisks with the signs +-x ÷ to make the equation correct

(*5*8) *20=20

Please help!

replace the asterisks with the signs +-x ÷ to make the equation correct

(*5*8)*20=20

Solve this using trial-and-error. (I don't know of any other way, for a beginning student.)

Did you try anything, yet?

Hint: Focus on that red asterisk.

After enough attempts, you'll begin to realize some limitations, maybe like this:

If I change the red asterisk to multiplication, then the part inside the parentheses must be 1. There is no way to make that 1, by using just the numbers 5 and 8. Therefore, the red asterisk cannot be multiplication.

So, you've eliminated one of the possibilities. Try a different operation, for the red asterisk.

If I change the red asterisk to division, then the part inside the parentheses must be 400. There is no way to make that 400, by using just the numbers 5 and 8. Therefore, the red asterisk cannot be division.

Now you have eliminated two of the possibilities. There are only two possibilities left to try, for that red asterisk.

This is the sort of logical "process of elimination" that you need work through, with these types of order-of-operation exercises. Show us what you get!

PS: Please read this summary page of the posting guidelines. (There are links on that page to the complete guidelines and rules.)

Last edited:
Backwards?

I've just been given a maths homework and one of the questions is:
Copy out and replace the asterisks with the signs +-x ÷ to make the equation correct

(*5*8) *20=20

Please help!

Perhaps working the problem backwards? PEMDAS would say calculate within the parentheses first ....

so essentially you leave (*5*8) alone, which means you have two paths:

I) (*5*8) = 20-20 or (*5*8) = 20 + 20 => (*5*8) = 0 or (*5*8) = 40

II) (*5*8) = (20)(20) or (*5*8) = (20)/(20) => (*5*8) = 400 or (*5*8) = 1

(*5*8) = 0, neither the sum or difference of 5, 8, nor the product or quotient of 5,8 will produce zero.

Repeat the procedure for the other three cases. I see only one solution.

(*5*8) = 40
(*5*8) = 400
(*5*8) = 1

Last edited by a moderator: