Matrix help!

Einsteinwannabe

Hi all, I'm trying to solve the following problem to find y:
1595449663300.png

The answer is meant to be y=(1,2,0), which I'm not getting. I know you can find the solution via Gaussian elimination but the lecturer was talking as if it should be a quick and easy thing to solve. I thought I could get the answers by solving it line by line (i.e. 5y=5, and then 6y=9 etc.), but that doesn't get the right answer...

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Y is a 3x1 matrix. Call it (a, b, c) written vertically. Then multiply it out. Because of the position of the 0s, you will solve for a, then b, then c.

That is a "lower triangular matrix". As Harry the Cat suggests, write the vector y as \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix}\) and do the multiplication:
\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}5 & 0 & 0 \\ 3 & 3 & 0 \\ -1 & 1 & 3 \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}5x \\ 3x+ 3y \\ -x+ y+ 3z\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} 5 \\ 9 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}\).

So that is the same as 5x= 5, 3x+ 3y= 9, and -x+ y+ 3z= 1.

It is easy to solve 5x= 5 for x. Put that value of x into 3x+ 3y= 9 and you get an equation for y, then put those values of x and y into -x+ y+ 3z= 1 to get an equation for z.