Measurable Cardinals.

DrWm

I have been searching the web for several years now attempting to find a good intuitive explanation of what measurable cardinals are and how best to conceive them. All I can find, over nd over, are definitions of the things in terms of ultrafilters and k-sigma measures. I do know what those things are, but that doesn't help me visualize what a measurable cardinal looks like, how one makes one, or why it has the properties it does. Can anyone help me with this?? Thanks for reading!!

Ishuda

Elite Member
I have been searching the web for several years now attempting to find a good intuitive explanation of what measurable cardinals are and how best to conceive them. All I can find, over nd over, are definitions of the things in terms of ultrafilters and k-sigma measures. I do know what those things are, but that doesn't help me visualize what a measurable cardinal looks like, how one makes one, or why it has the properties it does. Can anyone help me with this?? Thanks for reading!!
Sorry, no I can't. However, being here takes me to concepts I haven't actually seen before [but in rare cases, may have thought of it]. So thanks for introducing me to a new concept.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
I googled "measurable cardinal" and got a number of results talking about "inaccessible cardinals", "two-valued measures", and "complete non-principle ultrafilters". If you don't know what any of those mean, then you have a lot of background work to do first!

JeffM

Elite Member
This might be a question better asked at the math stack exchange.