mechanics help

naidyhrnibbod

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble with my maths mechanics work..we have been doing basic SUVAT equations, but i cant figure out how to do these 3: a particle P is projected vertically upwards from point O with a speed of 24.5 m/sa) calculate the total distance travelled by P before returning to Ob) find the time it takes for P to return to O c) determine the time that elapsed after projection when p is travelling downwards with a speed of 12.25 m/sA stone is thrown vertically upwards from the ground with an initial speed of 3.5 m/sa) calculate the time taken by the stone to return to the groundb)find the greatest height reached by the stone.In order to estimate the depth of a well a man drops a pebble from the top of the well & measures a time interval before the splash as 2.9s.a) Neglecting the time taken for the splash sound to reach the man, find estimates for the depth of the well and the speed of the pebble when it hits the water.any help would be much appreciated.Thanks, Rhydian

Hi everyone. I'm having trouble with my maths mechanics work..we have been doing basic SUVAT equations, but i cant figure out how to do these 3: a particle P is projected vertically upwards from point O with a speed of 24.5 m/sa) calculate the total distance travelled by P before returning to Ob) find the time it takes for P to return to O c) determine the time that elapsed after projection when p is travelling downwards with a speed of 12.25 m/sA stone is thrown vertically upwards from the ground with an initial speed of 3.5 m/sa) calculate the time taken by the stone to return to the groundb)find the greatest height reached by the stone.In order to estimate the depth of a well a man drops a pebble from the top of the well & measures a time interval before the splash as 2.9s.a) Neglecting the time taken for the splash sound to reach the man, find estimates for the depth of the well and the speed of the pebble when it hits the water.any help would be much appreciated.Thanks, Rhydian

There three are equations (attributed to Galileo) for linear motion of particles with constant acceleration/deceleration problems.

Starting with:

v = u + a * t

s = u*t + 1/2 * a * t2

v2 = u2 + 2*a*s

Where:

u = initial velocity

v = final velocity

t = time of travel

a = acceleration (or deceleration)

s = total distance travelled

Have you been taught these? If yes, did you try to use these?

If no, what you have been taught in class related to this subject (linear motion of a particle with constant acceleration)?

Please share your work with us .

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...217#post322217

You posted this under "differential equations". Are you supposed to derive the equations yourself from \(\displaystyle d^2x/dt^2= -g\)?