Median given

mathismaths

so this worked example i highlighted is giving me hard time , its a fairly small level question but something i aint getting grasp on(picture below):
WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 11.40.39 PM.jpeg

and if u can understand the ablove highligghted in photo thn please tell how to do this too(part B):

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-17 at 11.32.26 PM.jpeg

so this worked example i highlighted is giving me hard time , its a fairly small level question but something i aint getting grasp on(picture below):
View attachment 17226

and if u can understand the ablove highligghted in photo thn please tell how to do this too(part B):

View attachment 17227
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment.

Please tell us the definition of "mean" of a data set

1584472443090.png1584472560231.png 1584472443090.png1584472560231.png

It's a little hard to follow what they are saying, which really has to be done in front of you with words and actions.

They have this table:

0 1 2 3 4 5​
4 8 x 6 5 4​

If we list out all the data values, they will look like this:

0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 ... 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5​

Do you understand that much? We don't know how many 2's there are, but we do know the others.

Now we want to figure out how many 2's we need to make the median be 3.

Is that enough for you to figure out what they are doing? If not, please be specific about where you don't get it.

Suppose you have no 2's. Then what would be the median? If it is 3, then you can no 2's
Suppose you have one 2. Then what would be the median? If it is 3, then you can one 2.
Suppose you have three 2's. Then what would be the median? If it is 3, then you can three 2's
Continue.....

It's a little hard to follow what they are saying, which really has to be done in front of you with words and actions.

They have this table:

0 1 2 3 4 5​
4 8 x 6 5 4​

If we list out all the data values, they will look like this:

0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 ... 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5​

Do you understand that much? We don't know how many 2's there are, but we do know the others.

Now we want to figure out how many 2's we need to make the median be 3.

Is that enough for you to figure out what they are doing? If not, please be specific about where you don't get it.
i dont get how they got 5 2 times insteaad of one in first picture?

im not getting that why they did for greatest value of x : 4+8+x=5+5+4
and for smallest value 4+8+x+5=5+4

y did they take this way and how?

Last edited:
i dont get how they got 5 2 times instead of one in first picture?

I don't see any place where anyone has shown two 5's instead of one 5; there are supposed to be four 5's!

In the book's picture, they show every value as "5 ... 5", for example, putting the number of them below; I showed what they mean, by actually writing out that many of each value, but it's easier to keep track of if you write what they wrote, while visualizing it as what I wrote.

Jomo took a non-algebraic approach equivalent to what they did; do you follow his explanation?

Here's a slower explanation of their work:

There are 4+8+x, that is, 12+x, numbers less than 3; and 6 numbers equal to 3; and 5+4, that is, 9, numbers greater than 3. In order to get a median of 3, the middle number, which is the median, must have equal numbers on either side.

The first "3" in the list has 12+x numbers on its left, and 14 numbers on its right (namely, five 3's and 9 others). So if this is the middle number, we need to have 12+x = 14. That's their left equation. It yields x=2 as the largest possible value of x, because this way we are moving the 3's as far as possible to the right.

Similarly, the last "3" in the list has 17+x numbers on its left (namely, five 3's and 12 others), and 9 numbers on its right. So if this is the middle number, we need to have 17+x = 9. That's their right equation. It yields x=-8; but we can't have a negative number, so the smallest value of x is 0.

In fact, if x=0, there are no 2's, and that list is

0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5​

There are 4+8+6+5+4 = 27 numbers here, so the middle one is at position (27+1)/2 = 14, with 13 on its left and 13 on its right. I marked that one in bold above; that's a 3, so we have the desired median.

i dont get how they got 5 2 times insteaad of one in first picture?

You still have not told us the definitions of "mean" and "median". If you do not know those definitions - it will be very difficult to understand the logic of the solutions given.

I don't see any place where anyone has shown two 5's instead of one 5; there are supposed to be four 5's!

In the book's picture, they show every value as "5 ... 5", for example, putting the number of them below; I showed what they mean, by actually writing out that many of each value, but it's easier to keep track of if you write what they wrote, while visualizing it as what I wrote.

Jomo took a non-algebraic approach equivalent to what they did; do you follow his explanation?

Here's a slower explanation of their work:

There are 4+8+x, that is, 12+x, numbers less than 3; and 6 numbers equal to 3; and 5+4, that is, 9, numbers greater than 3. In order to get a median of 3, the middle number, which is the median, must have equal numbers on either side.

The first "3" in the list has 12+x numbers on its left, and 14 numbers on its right (namely, five 3's and 9 others). So if this is the middle number, we need to have 12+x = 14. That's their left equation. It yields x=2 as the largest possible value of x, because this way we are moving the 3's as far as possible to the right.

Similarly, the last "3" in the list has 17+x numbers on its left (namely, five 3's and 12 others), and 9 numbers on its right. So if this is the middle number, we need to have 17+x = 9. That's their right equation. It yields x=-8; but we can't have a negative number, so the smallest value of x is 0.

In fact, if x=0, there are no 2's, and that list is

0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5​

There are 4+8+6+5+4 = 27 numbers here, so the middle one is at position (27+1)/2 = 14, with 13 on its left and 13 on its right. I marked that one in bold above; that's a 3, so we have the desired median.
thanks so much i love you for this ?

Suppose you have no 2's. Then what would be the median? If it is 3, then you can no 2's
Suppose you have one 2. Then what would be the median? If it is 3, then you can one 2.
Suppose you have three 2's. Then what would be the median? If it is 3, then you can three 2's
Continue.....
got it , thanks so much for this