messy algebra from optimization problem

woolley

\(\displaystyle \[g=\left(\frac{\alpha\delta}{\gamma\beta}y^{\frac{\delta-\beta}{\gamma-\alpha}}\right)^\gamma+y^\delta\]\)

solve for y in terms of \(\displaystyle \alpha, \delta, \gamma, \beta, \mathrm{and}\, g\).

The original problem:
What condition(s) are sufficient to ensure that the second order conditions are satisfied for the
optimization problem below? You can express this condition in terms of \(\displaystyle \alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta\) and the
values of x and y that satisfy the first order conditions that solve the problem below, x* and y*,
but not in terms of \(\displaystyle \lambda^*\). There is no need to evaluate determinants – state condition in terms of
determinants if you desire.

\(\displaystyle \max_{x,y} \;x^\alpha+y^\beta \qquad s.t.\;\; x^\gamma+y^\delta<b\)

What i have done:
\(\displaystyle $f(x,y)=x^\alpha+y^\beta$ and $g(x,y)=x^\gamma+y^\delta$ with $0<\alpha,\beta,\gamma,\delta<1$\[\mathcal{L}=x^\alpha+y^\beta+\lambda(x^\gamma+y^\delta-b)\]FOC:\begin{align}\mathcal{L}_x: \alpha x^{\alpha-1}+\gamma \lambda x^{\gamma-1}=0\\\mathcal{L}_y: \beta y^{\beta-1}+\delta \lambda y^{\delta-1}=0\\\mathcal{L}_\lambda: x^\gamma+y^\delta-b=0\end{align} from (1) and (2) get \[x=\frac{\alpha\delta}{\gamma\beta}y^{\frac{\delta-\beta}{\gamma-\alpha}}\] substitute in (3) for \[b=\left(\frac{\alpha\delta}{\gamma\beta}y^{\frac{\delta-\beta}{\gamma-\alpha}}\right)^\gamma+y^\delta\] How do i solve for y in terms of \alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta, \mathrm{and}\, b?\)

Look at a simpler version and try that:

\(\displaystyle ky^m + y^n = b\)

I don't think it will be simple, or necessarily possible, unless we know more about the constants. For example, if m=2n, or if b=0.

woolley said:
The original problem:
What condition(s) are sufficient to ensure that the second order conditions are satisfied for the
optimization problem below? You can express this condition in terms of \(\displaystyle \alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta\) and the
values of x and y that satisfy the first order conditions that solve the problem below, x* and y*,
but not in terms of \(\displaystyle \lambda^*\). There is no need to evaluate determinants – state condition in terms of
determinants if you desire.
Your equation labelled (3) and the equation that you obtained from (1) and (2) are conditions involving \(\displaystyle \alpha\), \(\displaystyle \beta\), \(\displaystyle \gamma\), \(\displaystyle \delta\), x* and y* (replace x and y), but not \(\displaystyle \lambda\). Isn't that all that is asked of you?

these are the conditions required to ensure SOC satisfied...
so if \(\displaystyle b=0\) then \(\displaystyle y=(-k)^{n-m}\)
haven't checked for sign on SOC but this might work... finding y based on restrictions on b or m and n.

ahha Unco. i wondered if was reading the problem wrong. i think you must be right. much easier that way. thank you!

so is the only condition \(\displaystyle x^*=\frac{\alpha\delta}{\gamma\beta}y^{*\frac{\delta-\beta}{\gamma-\alpha}}\) ?

is \(\displaystyle x^*,y^*>0\) also a "condition"?

what about \(\displaystyle \gamma\ne\alpha\) ?

From (1),

\(\displaystyle \gamma = \alpha \Rightarrow ( \lambda = -1 \text{ or } x = 0)\)

I'm not sure if that helps.