Method of summing the series with complex analysis

Amad27

I asked the same thing on Physicsforums, I am hoping for some feedback here as well.

I saw this method of calculating:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{I = \int_{0}^{1} \log^2(1-x)\log^2(x) dx}\)

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/959701/evaluate-int1-0-log21-x-log2x-dx

Can you take a look at M.N.C.E.'s method?

I dont understand a few things.

Somehow he makes the relation:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\frac{4H_n}{(n+1)(n+2)^3} = \frac{\left( \gamma + \psi(-z) \right)^2}{(z+1)(z+2)^3}}\)

How is this established?

And this I dont understand, why did he integrate it,?

And then after he states: "At the positive integers," what is he doing with the residues. I know the residue theorem etc, but I dont understand what he is exactly doing?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what the specific symbols in that equation mean? That is, do you know what "\(\displaystyle H_n\)", "\(\displaystyle \gamma\)", "\(\displaystyle \psi\)" mean?

Do you know what the specific symbols in that equation mean? That is, do you know what "\(\displaystyle H_n\)", "\(\displaystyle \gamma\)", "\(\displaystyle \psi\)" mean?
H_n is the summation of the harmonic series, 1/1+1/2+1/3+1/4+1/5... +1/n "\(\displaystyle \gamma\)" is gamma, the limit as you approach infinity of H_n - ln(n). Though I like to use ln(n+1/2) since I can compute it quicker that way. Psi is the function of the d/dx(gamma(x))/gamma(x), aka the derivative of the gamma function over the gamma function, the gamma function being an extension of the factorial function which is given by the integral of (ln(n-1)^x-1 dn with 1 and 0 being the bounds