Metric system to American system of measure

17rkearns

Hi I am doing a map for social studies but this is more of a math question:
If 1 inch equals 1 mile, What does 1 centimeter equal in kilometers??? I haven't done anything yet because I have NO idea what so ever how to do this!! Please help!! Thanks!!!!
I am really having trouble in math!! Thank goodness for this website!!!!
:D

Calm down. If you keep saying you have trouble with math, you will eventually talk yourself into believing that you cannot get it. Have confidence. Then ideas will come. It also helps to jot pertinent facts down on paper instead of trying to keep everything in your head.

Please do not say that 1 inch equals 1 mile. That is obviously not true. Let's say 1 inch represents 1 mile. Exact speech helps in math.

Either your text or google will give you a conversion factor for miles and kilometers and another one for inches and centimeters, but I'll save you the trouble. (You might want to check on me. I have been known to make mistakes.)

1 mile = 1.61 kilometers and 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters.

Now if 1 inch represents 1 mile, how many centimeters represent 1 mile?

But 1 mile is the same as 1.61 kilometers so how many centimeters represent 1.61 kilometers?

But we want an answer that says how many kilometers are represented by just 1 centimeter. Do you see how to get there?

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!! The whole Math Pep talk was awesome and made me more confident just by reading it!!! Wait till my teacher sees me now!!!!