minimizing average cost, finding min. ave. cost, for guitars

youknowitsucka

So i have a story problem..and i can do it. i just need some help figuring out how to start it..i get finish it from there.

Teddy's Guitar Designs has determined that when x hundred guitars are built, the average cost per guitar is given by
C(x)=0.1x^2-0.9x+2.425, where C(x) is in hundreds of dollars.

a.)how many guitars should be built in order to minimize the average cost per guitar?

b.)what is the minimum average cost per guitar?

like i said..if you just help me starting it, i should be able to finish it from there.

thanks!

Hint: The cost function is a positive quadratic, which graphs as an upward-opening parabola. :wink:

Eliz.

Re: minimizing average cost, finding min. ave. cost, for gui

youknowitsucka said:
So i have a story problem..and i can do it. i just need some help figuring out how to start it..i get finish it from there.

Teddy's Guitar Designs has determined that when x hundred guitars are built, the average cost per guitar is given by
C(x)=0.1x^2-0.9x+2.425, where C(x) is in hundreds of dollars.

a.)how many guitars should be built in order to minimize the average cost per guitar?

b.)what is the minimum average cost per guitar?

like i said..if you just help me starting it, i should be able to finish it from there.

thanks!

What method have you been taught to solve such problems - graphical or algebraic?

Can you post a worked-out-example-problem from your text-book?