minus * minus: Why minus multply by minus equall to plus? Why: - x - = +?

shahar

Why minus multply by minus equall to plus?
Why: - x - = +?

How do you think of multiplication to begin with? In particular, how are you defining multiplication of signed numbers?

If you look at numbers as points on a number line, then multiplying a number, "a", say, by a positive number, "b", stretches (if b> 1) or contracts (if b< 1) the position of "a". If b is negative, then it also "reverses" the direction. If you multiply by two negative numbers then the two "reversals" brings us back to the original position.

There are many different ways to look at it, depending on the level of proof you want, and what you already know. For several answers, see here.

If you want, you might tell us your own thoughts (perhaps about one of the answers given there, or elsewhere), which will give us more to discuss.

Reading Comprehension

How do you think of multiplication to begin with? In particular, how are you defining multiplication of signed numbers?

If you look at numbers as points on a number line, then multiplying a number, "a", say, by a positive number, "b", stretches (if b> 1) or contracts (if b< 1) the position of "a". If b is negative, then it also "reverses" the direction. If you multiply by two negative numbers then the two "reversals" brings us back to the original position.
I don't understand what the meaning of the streteches in:
...multiplying a number, "a", say, by a positive number, "b", stretches (if b> 1) or contracts (if b< 1) the position of "a"...
?

… meaning of the stretches
In that explanation, stretches … the position of "a" means that number "a" shifts to the right.

And contracts … the position of "a" means that number "a" shifts to the left.

The stretching/contracting explanation may not be appropriate, at your level of study. Are you in a beginning algebra class?

If you multiply 6 by 4 (note that 4 is bigger than 1), the result is 24 (it stretched as it got bigger)
Now If you multiply 6 by 1/2 (note that 1/2 is smaller than 1), the result is 3 (it got smaller)
This is not exactly what I think the other posters were really getting at but what I said above gives the same results.

As far as I know -

(-1) * (-1) = 1 ...................... by definition (axiom).

This is required to maintain the properties of multiplication across positive and negative domains of the number line.

Building on what Khan said, (-1)*(-1)=1, we have the following (from example)

(-7)*(-3) = {(-1)*(7)}*{(-1)*(3)}= {(-1)*(-1)}*{(7)*(3)} = {+1}*{21}= +21 or 21