More word problems

SargeUSMC

These word problems! Seems like every assignment there are 1 or 2 that we just can't get off the ground with.

2 schools plan a bus trip. School A filled 8 vans & 5 buses with 240 students. B used 4 vans & 7 busses foe 228 students.

They want to know the capacity of busses & vans.

2 tennis courts to choose from. A is $25 hr. B is $20 hr plus 1 time fee of $10.

They want to know the # of hours where the cost is the same for either, and if you want to use a court for 10 hours total, which is the cheapest.

I think this is the last assignment from this unit, thank God!

School Trip

These word problems! Seems like every assignment there are 1 or 2 that we just can't get off the ground with.

2 schools plan a bus trip. School A filled 8 vans & 5 buses with 240 students. B used 4 vans & 7 busses foe 228 students.

Expressing the bus capacities you have
8V + 5B = 240 and 4V + 7B = 228

Can you take it from here?

2 tennis courts to choose from. A is $25 hr. B is $20 hr plus 1 time fee of $10.

They want to know the # of hours where the cost is the same for either, and if you want to use a court for 10 hours total, which is the cheapest.

Cost(A) = 25X and Cost(B) = 20X + 10

What Value of X will yield equal costs?

What court will cost the least to use for 10 hours?

Tchrwill

Thanks. Those are the formulas I had, but due to my stupid math mistakes, I wasn't getting nice round numbers, so I thought I had the wrong formulas.

Last edited:
Re the 1st problem, those are the formulas I had, but when I tried to solve for the variables I wasn't coming up with nice round numbers.
I'll try again.

ty

Which grade is Franceska attending? She needs to be able to do these by herself to consider herself "passing" this grade!

Who is "we"?
Both the problems are quite basic...
make sure you understand them both before going further...

We is me and the daughter I'm trying to help with this stuff.

The formulas are "basic" ......sucking the right formulas out of the text is the challenge of course.... : )

The formulas are "basic" ......sucking the right formulas out of the text is the challenge of course.... : )

However, that is what we (teachers) hope the students learn out of these exercise.

In real world - only problem the student will be asked to solve will be word-problems.

Translating verbal problems into mathematical statements is a very important skill and the student needs to be expert at it.

Expressing the bus capacities you have
8V + 5B = 240 and 4V + 7B = 228

Can you take it from here?

Cost(A) = 25X and Cost(B) = 20X + 10

What Value of X will yield equal costs?

What court will cost the least to use for 10 hours?

Tchrwill

Thank YOU for your help!

Ok, I can't get help here then??

Speaking just for myself: Of course you can. But, by doing that, you may be doing your daughter a mis-service by not letting her do things for herself. That is, she needs to learn to learn and I believe that is what is being said.

However, that is what we (teachers) hope the students learn out of these exercise.

In real world - only problem the student will be asked to solve will be word-problems.

Translating verbal problems into mathematical statements is a very important skill and the student needs to be expert at it.

This is the real world and what's going on here is simple. Just a father trying to help his child with homework. I'm not asking for your help and then turning around and giving her the answers.
You're helping ME so I can sit down with her and help HER work it out on her own.

Thank you.

You're helping ME so I can sit down with her and help HER work it out on her own.
While your aim is virtuous, many of us have learned, from harsh experience, that attempting to "speak" to a student (in this case, your daughter) through a "translator" (in this case, you) who doesn't "speak the language" is highly unlikely to succeed. Asking to be allowed to work directly with the actual student is in no way meant as a criticism; it is our plea on the student's behalf.

Apologies for any confusion. ;)