[MOVED] linear inequalities: 5 < 2x - 8, etc.

dartist123

:?: Hi first I'll show you what I've come up with (2/5)x+(-8/5) and x>(2/8)+8. Those are my solutions to: Consider first a linear equation of the form 2x-5y= 8 Now choose a linear inequality of the form 5 < 2x - 8 or 5 > 2x - 8. There's more to the question, but I'm not too good at linear solutions and my graph turns out all funky when I put these in. Maybe someone out there can help me.

Re: linear graphs

dartist123 said:
:?: Hi first I'll show you what I've come up with (2/5)x+(-8/5) and x>(2/8)+8. Those are my solutions to: Consider first a linear equation of the form 2x-5y= 8 Now choose a linear inequality
of the form 5 < 2x - 8 or 5 > 2x - 8. There's more to the question, but I'm not too good at linear solutions and my graph turns out all funky when I put these in. Maybe someone out there can help me.

Your question does not make sense to me.

Please reread your post and make necessary corrections - may then it will be clearer.

The Whole Question

The whole question:

]You are preparing for an upcoming sales meeting and need to create and compare various supply and demand graphs that show the break-even point for the company. You have already compared the graphs of linear equations with those of linear inequalities. Now you will make the same comparison with financial numbers.

Consider first a linear equation of the form 2x-5y= 8
Now choose a linear inequality of the form 5 < 2x - 8 or 5 > 2x - 8

Please write a 2 page analysis comparing and contrasting the two graphs:

What are the major differences between the linear equation graph and the linear equality graph?
In what ways can you present these graphs to help your company understand them better?
Your complete assignment must include both your answers and your spreadsheet.
I've come up with a different solution, not sure if these equations need solving but here is my write up for these two:

2x-5y= 8
2x+8=5y
(2/5)x+(-8/5)

5 < 2x – 8
2x-8>5
2x>13
X<13/5

Intersection is 10.5, 2.5

Re: The Whole Question

dartist123 said:
...Consider first a linear equation of the form 2x-5y= 8
Now choose a linear inequality of the form 5 < 2x - 8 or 5 > 2x - 8
is it this or 5y < 2x - 8 ....

No not 5y, just 5, I know there are usually a y and an x but in this case there is not.

dartist123 said:
No not 5y, just 5, I know there are usually a y and an x but in this case there is not.
If so, then the equation is a line in the plane, and the inequality is a shading of the half-plane. I don't see how on earth you're going to get two pages on these unrelated things...? :shock:

Eliz.