Multiple Integrals

Daniel_Feldman

I need to find the volume of the bounded region in the first octant bounded by the surface z=1+(x-3)^2+3y^2 and the planes x=4 and y=2.

I need help setting up the integral. If i integrate with respect to dxdydz, my outer limits would be 0 to 10 I think (b/c the z-intercept is 10). I'm not sure how to find the inner limits, though. Any help would be much appreciated.

Easier way to approach these problems is to set it up as dz dx dy or dz dy dx, if possible. Because then you can visualize the xy-plane as the ground, visualize the solid above the ground, and find equations of lower and upper surfaces bounding the solid. In this case lower surface is z=0, upper is given in the problem.

After that, look at the solid from top and find the region R (on xy) which is the projection of your solid on xy-plane.

Then the setup would be

\(\displaystyle \L \iint_R \left( \int_0^{1+(x-3)^2+3y^2} dz \right) dA\)

To figure out the limits for R, try to visualize the projection of the solid on xy. You are cutting the paraboloid \(\displaystyle z=1+(x-3)^2+3y^2\) with the planes x=4 and y=2. Do you see that R is simply the following rectangle?

\(\displaystyle \L 0 \leq x \leq 4 \text{ \; and \; } 0\leq y \leq 2\)

I think you can finish now...