Multiplying Fractions: The question is 1 2/3 * 1 1/4 (Son has to use method where he draws boxes)

PM2024

I'm trying to help my 5th grade son with his math homework, but he has to use a method I'm unfamiliar with.
The question is 1 2/3 * 1 1/4.
I know to convert to an improper fraction and then multiply and you get 2 1/12.

He has to use a method where he draws boxes and colors in each fraction a different color and the overlapping section is the answer. I can't figure this method out when there are 2 whole numbers in the problem.

I attached a picture of another problem we were able to figure out (I think), to try to show the method we are trying to use.

Thank you!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240306_025222689.jpg
    PXL_20240306_025222689.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
I'm trying to help my 5th grade son with his math homework, but he has to use a method I'm unfamiliar with.
The question is 1 2/3 * 1 1/4.
I know to convert to an improper fraction and then multiply and you get 2 1/12.

He has to use a method where he draws boxes and colors in each fraction a different color and the overlapping section is the answer. I can't figure this method out when there are 2 whole numbers in the problem.

I attached a picture of another problem we were able to figure out (I think), to try to show the method we are trying to use.

Thank you!!
Perhaps something like this. Each of the areas can be found using the provided method then sum them up.

1709758665108.png