Multivariable Calculus (Maximum-Minimum Problem)

The Lion 102

Show that a rectangular box with a top and fixed surface area has the largest volume if it is a cube.

The surface area of the box is given by 2(xy+xz+yz)=a
The volume of the box is given by V=xyz

I isolated z from the first equation, then I calculated the partial derivative of z with respect to x and y and set them to zero.
The problem is I got a complicated system of equations that was hard to solve.
This question was before the part about Lagrange multipliers, so is there another way to solve it.

I also noticed that the two equations were symmetric, so would that imply that x and y are interchangeable and might be equal?

If you want help, and I'm sure that you do, then show us your wok. Maybe you made a mistake arriving at the system of equations and in fact it is easy to solve.

Using the surface area equation, I isolated z and got z=(a-2xy)/(2x+2y)
Therefore V=(axy-2x^2y^2)/(2x+2y)

The partial derivatives I got with respect to x and y were:
(2ay^2-4x^2y^2-8xy^3)/(2x+2y)^2 and (2ax^2-4x^2y^2-8x^3y)/(2x+2y)^2

The system to solve would then be:
ay^2-2x^2y^2-4xy^2=0
ax^2-2x^2y^2-4x^3y=0

Since x and y are both non zero, I tried to divide the first equation by y^2 and then the second by x^2

I got:
a-2x^2-4xy=0
a-2y^2-4xy=0

Which implies that x=y

Using the first equation, I got x=sqrt(6a)/6, same for y and z.

Last edited:
You CAN solve the problem your way, but the easy way is to use LaGrange’s method.

\(\displaystyle \text {Variables } x,\ y, \text { and } z \text { represent length of cuboid's sides.}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore x,\ y, \text { and } z \text { are all positive.}\)

\(\displaystyle \text {Constant } s = \text {fixed surface area.}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore s = 2(xy + xz + yz).\)

\(\displaystyle L= xyz - \lambda \{s - 2(xy + xz + yz)\}.\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\delta L}{\delta x} = 0 \implies yz = 2\lambda x \implies xyz = 2 \lambda x^2.\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\delta L}{\delta y} = 0 \implies xz = 2\lambda y \implies xyz = 2 \lambda y^2.\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\delta L}{\delta z} = 0 \implies xy = 2\lambda z \implies xyz = 2 \lambda z^2.\)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\delta L}{\delta \lambda} = 0 \implies s = 2(xy + xz + yz).\)

\(\displaystyle \lambda = 0 \text { and } yz = 2\lambda x \implies yz = 0.\)

\(\displaystyle \text {By hypothesis, } y > 0 \text { and } z > 0 \implies yz > 0 \ne 0.\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore \lambda \ne 0.\)

\(\displaystyle xyz = 2 \lambda x^2,\ xyz = 2 \lambda y^2 = x = 0 \text { and } xyz = 2 \lambda z^2 \implies \)

\(\displaystyle 2 \lambda x^2 = 2 \lambda y^2 = 2 \lambda z^2 \implies \)

\(\displaystyle x^2 = y^2 = z^2 \implies x = y = z.\)

Done.

Last edited:
You CAN solve the problem your way, but the easy way is to use LaGrange’s method.

[MATH]\text {Variables } x,\ y, \text { and } z \text { represent length of cuboid's sides.}[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore x,\ y, \text { and } z \text { are all positive.}[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {Constant } s = \text {fixed surface area.}[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore s = 2(xy + xz + yz).[/MATH]
[MATH]L= xyz - \lambda \{s - 2(xy + xz + yz)\}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{\delta L}{\delta x} = 0 \implies yz = 2\lambda x \implies xyz = 2 \lambda x^2.[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{\delta L}{\delta y} = 0 \implies xz = 2\lambda y \implies xyz = 2 \lambda y^2.[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{\delta L}{\delta z} = 0 \implies xy = 2\lambda z \implies xyz = 2 \lambda z^2.[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{\delta L}{\delta \lambda} = 0 \implies s = 2(xy + xz + yz).[/MATH]
[MATH]\lambda = 0 \text { and } yz = 2\lambda x \implies yz = 0.[/MATH]
[MATH]\text {By hypothesis, } y > 0 \text { and } z > 0 \implies yz > 0 \ne 0.[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore \lambda \ne 0.[/MATH]
[MATH]xyz = 2 \lambda x^2,\ xyz = 2 \lambda y^2 = x = 0 \text { and } xyz = 2 \lambda z^2 \implies [/MATH]
[MATH]2 \lambda x^2 = 2 \lambda y^2 = 2 \lambda z^2 \implies [/MATH]
[MATH]x^2 = y^2 = z^2 \implies x = y = z.[/MATH]
Done.
Yes exactly, thank you. But this problem came before the Lagrange multiplier part, so I guess the book wanted me to use my way. I'll check yours whenever I get to it.

Yes, the book probably wanted to show you that it can be done your way with a lot of algebra and opportunity for error. Then they will show you LaGrange's method and motivate you to learn it as an easy substitute.

i'm still confused about it.
vidmate app download insta save
If you want help, you'll need to show some specifics, so we can see what help you need.

Don't hijack an existing thread; follow the guidelines:

Is there a specific problem you've had trouble with? Show us the problem and your work. Do you have a question about a particular topic? Ask it.