MUMS Puzzle Hunt

Harry_the_cat

Elite Member
Thought some of you might be interested in the Puzzle hunt in August from the Melbourne University Mathematics and Statistics Society.
Usually some great puzzles - not all mathematical funnily enough.

Is that the same gig for which you joined a team awhile back? I had checked out a few puzzles (prior contest), but they were too hard for me. I can understand why teams of detectives form; solving requires hunting for breadcrumbs!

?

No I think I might have been referring to the Mezzacotta Puzzles originally called CISRA (I think). This is a different group but similar sort of puzzles. I love them and they are great to do in a team - two heads and all that. Getting the starting point is often the hardest bit.

I looked at their archive (wanted to see a puzzle with answer). Hoo boy! Not only would I need to be familiar with the works of Shakespeare, but I'd also need to match up a bunch of movie posters and book covers, each depicting a theme or motivated from one of his works.

I need puzzles that don't require knowledge of stuff like, oh, literature, history, geography, mythology, astrology, … anything having to do with the entertainment industry, …

Okay, so I looked at the current puzzles. I started the scrabble game ('Letters and Numbers', I think is the title) and got through the first five turns. Now, I'm stuck on the clue syntax because I haven't been able to deduce the meaning of the forward slash.

Still ponderin'

?

We've got about 8 out so far including "Letters and Numbers" Did you look at their hints? Do you want me to tell you what the forward slash indicates?

… Did you look at their hints? Do you want me to tell you what the forward slash indicates?
I did look at the hints, but I skipped the running script. Is that story-line supposed to offer clues? (I didn't think so, after looking at that Shakespeare puzzle.)

I'll look at the hints, again.

:)

No, forget the script. I think that comes into play in the final mega puzzle which can only be done if you know all the answers to the previous puzzles (way beyond us!).