My Journey With Mathematics

I once had the opportunity in my Undergrad at Alfred University to work a problem solving session for Physics I. It was a course in the Physics curriculum but it was heavily populated by engineers. I noted quickly that they didn't want to find the equation and do the solution. They wanted to know how to solve specific problems to cover every possibility instead of learning the general method which could solve any of them. This thinking is alien to me. My studies have been drifting me toward Mathematical Physics over the last decade or so, so I can claim that I know how to do some Math the way Mathematicians do it rather than just approaching it like a Physicist. I will admit, though, that I still have a tendancy to approach problems without always checking to see if I can do things, such as taking limits inside of integrals without checking to see that I can actually do that.

-Dan
Like I posted above, math (and of course physics) majors are different. They both want to understand their subject- and Physicists have a lot more to understand! Engineers are a different breed and this is fine but in the end they are not math/physics majors. They tend to have no desire to really understand the material. Is this true of all engineers, no, not at all.

Here is something that you'll like (my physic teacher liked it very much). My physics teacher ask the first day of class what our definition of physics is. I responded with there is the study of Biology and Chemistry and that Physics is the study of everything else.

I think that while the professor has a point, that those are just stereotypes, in my academic and work experience, which spanned 4 or so decades, there is more than a little truth to the stereotype. At least with regard to tending to be loners and tending to be socially awkward. I suspect the one leads to the other.

It's not surprising that mathematicians tend to be loners. Math down in the trenches isn't generally cooperative effort. Now and then you come out of the trench and compare/share results with others working similar problems but when you're pushing the pencil, (or these days pounding the keyboard), you're most likely going to be doing it alone.

At University of Maryland, back in the 80s, I decided to pursue a BS in math as well as my engineering degree. Really the difference between engineers and mathematicians was quite stark. Occasionally comically so. There were a few math students who were just flat out weird to the point that conversation with them was very difficult and clearly unwanted (by them).

There was a Mathematics PhD student in the group house I lived one semester. It wasn't uncommon for him to be pacing the hall at 3am talking to himself. His body may have resided on Earth but his mind sure didn't. It was utterly impossible to have a conversation with him.

Now of course that's an extreme. But it's an extreme I never witnessed among engineering or even physics majors.

As an aside, the mathematicians I knew at work, did the same basic job as the engineers or physicists. Here's the problem, solve it. Very occasionally the mathematicians were able to pull something out of their hat that the engineers wouldn't have thought of that made the problem much more workable. The mathematicians tended to be better at hitting the literature and gleaning results needed than the engineers did. On the other hand engineers were much more able to find shortcuts and simplifying assumptions and had an overall "git er done" attitude than the mathematicians.

I am socially awkward to a certain extent. My alone time is my happy time, which explains why I decided to work overnight hours. I am also a million years away from understanding math at a professional level. Still, my family and friends consider me to be super odd in character. You do not want to know what the Hispanic community thinks of someone like myself. They often ask me: Why do you like math? Are you trying to White or Asian? Yes, dumb question but it is a regular comment in my circle of friends.

I am a big time loner. I am happiest when alone with my math textbooks or reading my Bible. The world of math and math textbooks is a lonely planet full of people that no one else understands. I am one of those "strange" math nerds but I love the subject enough to be left on the road side.

I should have chased after a math degree even if it meant a longer stay on campus. I am paying the price today for selecting sociology. Sociology only helps in terms of employment after graduate school. I like math more than sociology.

We all talk to ourselves every now and then. It does not mean we are crazy or mentally insane. Often life becomes a heavy cross to bear. When there is no to vent to, people typically talk to themselves. I try going to God in prayer. To some people, this equates talking to oneself but not to those who fully understand the reality of God. Live long and love math.

I am not sure why you made this post here.
I do have some (friendly!) comments to make.
I believe that one should get a degree in the area they love. For me it was math.
My wife's family are ALL great in art. Two of them just got their degrees in Art (and a third one got tier BS and MA in music). I know that they will probably have a hard time getting good jobs in their field but I admire that they did what they love and did not let money change their majors.
Last thing. You are under 60 years old. You already have your non-major requirements out of the way since you have your degree (and possibly a masters degree??). Go back to CUNY and get your math degree! You can even get a degree in math education. Then get your masters in math or math ed and you can teach full time or be a part-time adjunct. Don't give up on your dreams.
Every single day as an undergraduate math student by the end of the day I dropped out of school! But the next day I was back! Sure it was crazy hard but I will do it again if I had to. Go after that degree. I have seen weak students starting in arithmetic get their math degrees.

Mathematics gives you wings. What do you say? Watch the lesson and then get back to me. Does math truly provide wings?

What is the best user-friendly calculus textbook covering cal l, ll and lll for self-study?

Now of course that's an extreme. But it's an extreme I never witnessed among engineering or even physics majors.
You have never witnessed but there were/are few. Hope you are not forgetting Tesla and his pigeons......

You can't define "student friendly". Just get one if that's what you want to do.

My views. I welcome others'.

I am a math student for life. I do not care how old I get to be. Math is my passion and education is my game. I enjoy coming here to learn from those who have a better understanding of mathematics. My intentions for joining are some times misunderstood but I mean no harm.

Distance learning is the new reality for students due to COVID-19. In what way do you think learning math outside the classroom will negatively affect students, especially those in advanced math courses?

Not being as able to ask questions to the instructor, not having the needed interplay between instructor and student that leads to better ways of explaining material to the student when he needs it, not being able to meet and work with other students, to name three.

-Dan

Not being as able to ask questions to the instructor, not having the needed interplay between instructor and student that leads to better ways of explaining material to the student when he needs it, not being able to meet and work with other students, to name three.

-Dan
"...not being able to meet and work with other students ..."

The most important drawback.

-Dan

It may affect the general makeup of who does well and who doesn't. Some people need social interaction to learn and apply new concepts, some people don't. If COVID-19 happened when I was in college, it wouldn't have affected my performance one bit, because I never used study groups or resources like the teaching assistants, or even the professors office hours for that matter. Just the lectures, books. and homework for me, with one exception: Sociology classes. You sort of have to be around people for those, because they require constructive criticism and interaction.

I, for one, have a few friend whose teachers are assigning extremely lax work to be done during isolation. They think it's wonderful, of course, but I don't think it's helping them any. They aren't learning anything though distance learning to begin with, and are probably losing a bit of their brainpower in the process (if it was there to be begin with, of course.)

I, for one, have a few friend whose teachers are assigning extremely lax work to be done during isolation. They think it's wonderful, of course, but I don't think it's helping them any. They aren't learning anything though distance learning to begin with, and are probably losing a bit of their brainpower in the process (if it was there to be begin with, of course.)

The enemies of the USA at the highest levels of our government (and abroad) love this lack of education road due to COVID-19 leading to more robot-like humans who are easily brainwashed without any concern for questioning authority when needed.

Last edited:
For visiting students here: Calculus 1 Professor Leonard