My new problem w/Geometry

DowFamily

Please start a new thread with a new problem

Collect terms with same "power" of x:

now continue....In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them ......John von NeumannSubhotosh Khan
Elite Member

Sorry but how do I properly post the math problem b/c it does not seem to be showing when i try to copy/paste to repost sir

also my ? is on the equation of the 2nd line of the problem why did you change the - sign inbetween the paranthesis to a +

and on the 4th line of the problem Can any problem without the variable or the exponent be a + or a -

DowFamily said:
Please start a new thread with a new problem

Collect terms with same "power" of x:

now continue....In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them ......John von NeumannSubhotosh Khan
Elite Member

Sorry but how do I properly post the math problem b/c it does not seem to be showing when i try to copy/paste to repost sir

also my ? is on the equation of the 2nd line of the problem why did you change the - sign inbetween the paranthesis to a +

and on the 4th line of the problem Can any problem without the variable or the exponent be a + or a -

That's because subtraction is the same as adding the opposite.

Examples:

5 - 1 is the same thing as 5 + (-1)

-3 - 4 is the same thing as -3 + (-4)

5 - (-2) is the same thing as 5 + 2

DowFamily said:
ok my final answer I came up with is

1x^4 - 11x^2 - 11

We don't write coefficients of 1.

In other words x^4 is understood to mean (1)(x^4).

Just write x^4

If this exercise is to simplify

4x^4 + 3x^2 + 14 - (3x^4 + 14x^2 + 3)

Then your final answer has one problem to fix.

14 - 3 is not -11

DowFamily said:
how do i correctly post the math problems

Watch how we do it. :)

Click HERE to read about conventions for typing math expressions using a keyboard.