Mystery Number

jclegg

mystery number when rounded to nearest 100 is 600. when mystery number rounded to nearest 10 is 540. what could mystery number be?

Please check that you typed the question in correctly, because I don't think the above has a solution.

question is not correct!! I just talked to teacher and she typed the number wrong. Should have been 550 instead of 540!!! Thanks for responding to my post.

That's better! What do you think the mystery number is?

First, there is not a unique answer to the question as you have posed it.

Second, there is more than one way to do rounding. Which way are you supposed to use?

From the wording of the question it seems to me that the teacher wants the student to quote any valid, single, value from within the range that "mystery number" could occupy. Lol, using the phrase "mystery number" instead of a variable, say x, makes me think OP is probably at an early level of math, and probably hasn't studied inequalities yet - but I might be wrong.

I doubt that OP will return to make any more posts now. It seems to me that they just wanted verification that there was a mistake in the question before daring to contact the teacher! But I hope I'm wrong.

You need to find the common numbers to two questions.

Which numbers when you round to the nearest hundred is 600?

Which numbers when you round to the nearest 10 is 550?