need help please with 1/3 (1/2 x 3 1/3) -5/6

alli

hi. well, I'm homeschooled so, my mom and I are doing Saxon's Algebra 1/2. We're working on a lesson that's fairly easy but one of the questions is a little to much for us. The question is this:

1/3 (1/2 x 3 1/3) -5/6

I just can't get it and it's really starting to frustrate me so, if anyone could help me, I'd really appreicate it. Thanks.

alli said:
1/3 (1/2 - 3 1/30 -5/6
There is an begin-parenthesis right after the one-third, but you are missing the end-paren. Also, what were the instructions? And are you requesting instructions on fractions in general, converting between fractions and mixed numbers, finding common denominators, adding and subtracting fractions, or something else?

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Re: need help please.

the correct problem is 1/3 (1/2 x 3 1/3) - 5/6

the directions just say to simplify and I know how to do parenthesis and everything thing. The problem come though that, we have the answer book and in trying to help us understand, we saw that the answer should be 4/9 but, what I don't understand is how to get that. I'm not sure it's anything specific. Just that I don't understand how I'm suppoused to get that answer from the eqation that they gave me.

EDIT I'm assuming part of the reason that I got so messed up was the fact that the fractions inside the perenthesis are multiplied but even after changing and doing it the right way, I'm still not understanding.. please try not to get impatient. I'm really terrible at math.. sorry again.

Granted that there is the distributive property which was utilized in the previous post.

If one follows the order of operations convention, it would go like this.

1/3 (1/2 x 3 1/3) - 5/6

Simplify within grouping symbols.

1/2 X 3 1/3 = 1/2 X 10/3 = 5/3

So, the problem becomes...

1/3(5/3) - 5/6

The next operation, in the absence of radicals and exponents, is to do the multiplication and division in the order they appear.

(1/3)(5/3) = 5/9

So, the problem becomes...

5/9 - 5/6

Lastly we do the addition and subtraction in the order they appear.

5/9 - 5/6 = 10/18 - 15/18 = -5/18

You might want to google "order of operations". You must understand this convention because it is applied throughout all of high school mathematics and beyond.

the correct problem is 1/3 (1/2 x 3 1/3) - 5/6

this is what you have posted ...

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \left(\frac{1}{2} \times 3\frac{1}{3} \right) - \frac{5}{6}\)

and what Loren has interpreted ...

are we interpreting you correctly?

I am not really sure. I'm just lost. The answer in the book shows that's it's supposed to be 4/9 but I absolutely cannot figure out how to get to that answer.

Why don't you answer Skeeter's question so we can help you? Also, sometimes the answer in the back of the book is wrong.

Ask someone who KNOWS how to post properly to show you how.
As it is, 4/9 is NOT the answer to what you posted.

alli said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \left(\frac{1}{2} \times 3\frac{1}{3} \right) - \frac{5}{6}\)
are we interpreting you correctly?
I am not really sure.
Erm... If you don't know what the exercise is, then I'm afraid it's going to be quite difficult to determine what the correct answer might be.... :shock:

Eliz.