NEED HELP!, please :)

elina

Hey, I have assignment deadline tomorrow. I figured out 9 out of 10, and this last one.....been stuck with it 4hours or so(not kidding). Please help me!

"Assignment nr 5":
er!
Wally market chain bought stores to Denver, Cheyenne and Casper. At Cheyenne the price was 70% from Denver`s store price. Building in Casper was 0,5million dollars cheaper comparing to Cheyenne. The price company paid for all 3 building was 2,5millions less than Caspers store fourfold price. (so 4xCaspers store price-2,5million dollars is the end price for all three building together(a+b+c)).

a) find the price for all the three stores-Denver, Cheyenne and Casper.
b) How much the expansion cost?

What have I done already: I tried to make linear equation, but I cant get the right answer.

Hey, I have deadline tomorrow. I figured out 9 out of 10, and this last one.....been stuck with it 4hours or so(not kidding). Please help me!

"Assignment nr 5":

Wally market chain bought stores to Denver, Cheyenne and Casper. At Cheyenne the price was 70% from Denver`s store price. Building in Casper was 0,5million dollars cheaper comparing to Cheyenne. The price company paid for all 3 building was 2,5millions less than Caspers store fourfold price. (so 4xCaspers store price-2,5million dollars is the end price for all three building together(a+b+c)).

a) find the price for all the three stores-Denver, Cheyenne and Casper.
b) How much the expansion cost?

What have I done already: I tried to make linear equation, but I just can`t manage to get it right.
Please show us what you have done

Re:

A
Denver
B
Cheyenne
70% from A
C
Casper
B-0,5(millions)

Text says(4xtimes Casper stor price ,minus 2,5millions is all store prices all together): C4-2,5=A+B+C

So,
Other ways of espressing it- 4B-0,5 x 4 = B+(B-0,5)+A
Or 4(0,7A-0,5)-2= A+0,7A +(0,7A-0,5) --I replaced B with 0,7(70%)A. Can I do it?

(I will continue, but if something is wrong already ,it would be nice to notify me :) )

"Assignment nr 5":
er!
Is "nr" meant to be "number"? What is the meaning of "er!"?

Is the above being translated from some other language? (It makes little sense in English, is why I ask.)

Text says(4xtimes Casper stor price ,minus 2,5millions is all store prices all together): C4-2,5=A+B+C
So,
Other ways of espressing it- 4B-0,5 x 4 = B+(B-0,5)+A
Or 4(0,7A-0,5)-2= A+0,7A +(0,7A-0,5) --I replaced B with 0,7(70%)A. Can I do it?
I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of this. Also, how are you expected to apply the techniques of (post-calculus) differential equations to this exercise? (It looks like simple pre-calculus algebra, is why I ask.)

You can't get too terribly annoyed at people who have no idea what "differential equations" are! I suspect they see "equations" and that is enough.

However, elina, I don't know what is meant by "70% from Denver`s store price". Is that "70% of the Denver store price" or "70% off the Denver store price" (so 100- 70= 30% of the price).

Let x, y, and z be the prices of the Denver, Cheyenne, and Caspar stores, respectively in millions of dollars.

"At Cheyenne the price was 70% from Denver`s store price."
Assuming this means "70% of the price", y= .7x.

"Building in Casper was 0,5million dollars cheaper comparing to Cheyenne."
I think this means z= y- 0.5. Combined with y= .7x, that is z= .7x- 0.5.

"The price company paid for all 3 building was 2,5millions less than Caspers store fourfold price."
Four times Caspar's price is 4z and the priced paid for all three is x+ y+ z so this says x+ y+ z= 4z- 2.5. That is the same as x+ y- 3z= -2.5. With y= .7x and z= .7x- 0.5, that is the same as x+ .7x- 3(.7x- 0.5)= -2.5 so that
(1+ .70- 2.1)x= -0.4x= -4.

If, on the other hand, "At Cheyenne the price was 70% from Denver`s store price." means that the Cheyenne price is 70% lower than the Denver store price, that first equation is y= .3x, z= .3x- 0.5, and x+ y+ z= 4z- 2.5 would be (1+ .30- .90)x= .4x= -4 which gives negative number answers so I guess the first method is correct.

Last edited: