Need help simplifying 2pi int[0,b]|a sqrt{x}|*sqrt{1+((a^2)/(4x))} dx

dyzh

Can someone please help me simplify this?

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \large{2\pi\, \int_0^b\, \Bigg|\, a\, \sqrt{\strut x\,}\, \Bigg|\, \cdot\, \sqrt{\strut 1\, +\, \dfrac{a^2}{4x}\,}\, dx}\)

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 3.53.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 3.53.18 PM.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \large{2\pi\, \int_0^b\, \Bigg|\, a\, \sqrt{\strut x\,}\, \Bigg|\, \cdot\, \sqrt{\strut 1\, +\, \dfrac{a^2}{4x}\,}\, dx}\)

Thank you!

What are your thoughts regarding the assignment?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong.

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/for

It's a part of my math project. I need a simplified version of this equation so I can substitute numbers and apply it for different situations. But I'm stuck here so I can't proceed forward.

Thank you!

1) It's not an "equation".
2) is "a" ever negative?

Try substituting:

x = (1/4)*(a^2)*[cot(Θ)]^2

how? and why?

How - Are you saying that you do not know method of substitution in a function?

Why - because that will make your integrand " simpler (you wanted to simplify - didn't you?)

Thank you!

Let's back up a bit. What you are asking for is to integrate a function -- specifically, to evaluate a definite integral. It would be very helpful if you told us how much you know about calculus, so we would have a better idea where you need help. It would also help if you gave some context.

Since you have said that a and b are both known to be positive, we don't need the absolute value (because |a| = a for positive numbers), and we can just write this:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \large{2\pi\, \int_0^b\, a\, \sqrt{x\,}\, \sqrt{1\, +\, \dfrac{a^2}{4x}\,}\, dx}\)

The substitution that was suggested was based on the form \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \sqrt{1\, +\, \dfrac{a^2}{4x}\,} = \sqrt{1\, +\, u^2\,}\), which is reminiscent of the fact that \(\displaystyle 1 + \tan^2 \theta = \sec^2 \theta\). The fact that x is not squared makes this somewhat different from the usual trig substitution, but if you try it, everything will (eventually) work out nicely. (A lot of integration is a matter of seeing a possibility and just trying it in case it will work.)

I myself saw a slightly different approach, taking smaller steps. We can first combine the two radicals into

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \large{2\pi\, \int_0^b\, a\, \sqrt{x\left(1\, +\, \dfrac{a^2}{4x}\,\right)}\, dx = 2\pi\, a\, \int_0^b\, \sqrt{x\, +\, \dfrac{a^2}{4}}\, dx}\)

Then I did a similar substitution, and if I did the work right, this worked too.

Are you able to continue from here? If not, where do you have trouble? Have you ever used trig substitution? (If you just need an answer, WolframAlpha can do that for you, though it doesn't always simplify as much as you'd want.)