Need help to solve for a

Eidolon

Can someone please help me solve for a? I've been stuck on this for a while.

[math]a^2 - \left(\frac{a}{2}\right)^2 + ab[/math]
if it matters, b is a constant of 14.7

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
What does that mean? you did not write an equation to solve. Please post the complete and exact problem.

Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Sorry.

What I am trying to figure out is if I can reduce the above equation so a is isolated (transposing?), so the end result would be a = x

Does this help?

Sorry.

What I am trying to figure out is if I can reduce the above equation so a is isolated (transposing?), so the end result would be a = x

Does this help?
No that does not help ! in your op

a^2−- \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{a}{2}\right)^2 + ab\)

you do not have a "=" sign →

hence you do not have an equation !

Sorry.

Does this help?
You can factor an a from the expression but that's it.

What you are asking sounds like you want to solve something for a but you don't have an equation!

Now, if you have [imath]c = a^2 - \left ( \dfrac{a}{2} \right )^2 + ab[/imath] then you can solve this for a using the quadratic formula. But your answer will be in terms of c, which is something you added on.

-Dan

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps you want to write an alternate form of the above expression, such that the variable a appears only once? (This is possible)

However, it seems to me that we're starting to invent our own question. It would be best if you follow the advice in post#6

Perhaps you want to write an alternate form of the above expression, such that the variable a appears only once? (This is possible)

However, it seems to me that we're starting to invent our own question. It would be best if you follow the advice in post#6
the advice in post#6 and in post#2

the advice in post#6 and in post#2
...but post#6 already quotes from post#2. If I'd said, "the advice in post#6 and in post#2" then it would have been like referencing post#2 twice. Now, don't get me wrong, post#2 was a very good post, but IMO it didn't deserve twice as many references as post#6 ;):ROFLMAO:

I'm getting ill over this thread.
What does it take for a student to post their problem exactly from their book?