need help with letters-to-numbers addition puzzle

Mecolo

I need to crack a code! To help me crack it I have these two:

F E D I E F
+ I H G +A B C
A B C D G H

Numbers A-H are 1-9, they are all different. Using these two I need to find a "formula" and crack this one: H A B

Please help me!

I need to crack a code! To help me crack it I have these two:

F E D I E F
+ I H G +A B C
A B C D G H
I will guess that the above is meant to be two different vertical additions, like this:

Code:
  F E D     I E F
+ I H G   + A B C
-------   -------
  A B C     D G H

Numbers A-H are 1-9, they are all different. Using these two I need to find a "formula" and crack this one: H A B
There is, to my knowledge, no "formula" for working these puzzlers. You just have to give yourself some time to work through the options, using intelligent guesses to guide your work.

For instance, since neither of the additions leads to four-digit answers, then neither F + I (and any "carry" from E + H) nor I + A (and any "carry" from E + B) is greater than 9. This means that F + I cannot be, say, 8 + 7. So, whatever test-value you pick for F, this will limit whatever values you can test for I. And obviously you won't waste time testing 9 for F, I, or A, since this would give you a "carry" from the hundreds column, which clearly you don't have.

And so forth. So start picking values for the ones digits, and work your way through the additions. As soon as a certain test-value doesn't work, back up to the last step and pick a different test-value. Keep track of your work as you go, so you don't repeat yourself.

Have fun! ;)