Need help with multiplication

TheShyTeen

Hi, I'm a 17 year old teen and I've moved A LOT during my childhood, I've come to this forum to seek help at math... Pretty much all math... :(

I never really got math when I was little due to the stress of moving all of the time, and the furthest I've ever been in public school was the 5th grade which I chose to hold my self back into the 4th grade due to me not understanding multiplication. I've never gone to middle school or high school publicly.. I have been doing online homeschooling for my middle school and high school, but I never had the time to actually sign in and learn anything.

I'm now settled in a home and I can now spend as much time as I want studying but I have NO CLUE where to start :( I would REALLY apperciate if someone could start me out on the right path? Online is my last option so please help me.

There is no short cut to learning math. However, now you are older and more motivated to learn, it CAN come more quickly than when you were 8 or 9.

You need 3 things. A tutorial, a set of problems, and some coaches.

For the last, you can bring problems that give you trouble here. Please post one problem per thread. Show your work if you have done any. Ask for a hint to get started if you do not know where to start. Understand, however, that we shall not do your problems for you because it is you who needs the practice, not us.

There are a number of good math sites available. Purplemath is one. Another, and the one I suggest you try first, is Khan Academy. Here is the url for the FIRST lesson in multiplication: http://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/multiplication-division/v/basic-multiplication

Math is cumulative. You need to learn the first thing well before the you can try the second and so on. So start at the beginning with khan even if it seems very simple. After the second lesson at khan, you should be able to start with some simple problems.

There are problem sets at khan, and maybe someone else can suggest another good source for problems. It is very important to do problems. They are what make sure that you FULLY understood the lesson and make the knowledge imparted by the lesson YOURS rather than the teacher's.

Thank you very much for the advice! I'll start on that site immediately.

This may help

Hi, I'm a 17 year old teen and I've moved A LOT during my childhood, I've come to this forum to seek help at math... Pretty much all math... :(

I never really got math when I was little due to the stress of moving all of the time, and the furthest I've ever been in public school was the 5th grade which I chose to hold my self back into the 4th grade due to me not understanding multiplication. I've never gone to middle school or high school publicly.. I have been doing online homeschooling for my middle school and high school, but I never had the time to actually sign in and learn anything.

I'm now settled in a home and I can now spend as much time as I want studying but I have NO CLUE where to start :( I would REALLY apperciate if someone could start me out on the right path? Online is my last option so please help me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhixVTYRow&feature=relmfu

Hi.

I know some patterns that help with visual learners for certain multiplication.

I'm training to be a maths teacher.

If you want some help pm me and I can send you some word documents I've created that have helped some of my students in the past. I'm not really too sure if I can put documents on here.

Also, www.mathsisfun is a really great website for help.