Need Help with some questions please.

susu

I need help with one question. I solved some of it but i'm not getting the other part.

1. Find the functions f o g, g o f, f o f, and g o g and their domains.
i know f o g = f(x+5)/x and it's domain is ( negative infinity to -5) U (-5,0) U (0 to infinity)
But i don't know what g o f would be?

I know f o f is x but i'm confused on what the domain would be and i'm also confused on what g o g would be . ?

2.Which of the given functions are one- to -one?
a) h(X)= x^4+5
b)g(x)=6 squareroot x
c)f(x)= 1/x
d) g(x)= 6x^2-6x
e)f(x)= -6x+6
I thought it would be only a , b , and c but i'm still kind of unsure.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Last edited:
Hello, susu!

Given: .\(\displaystyle f(x) \,=\,\dfrac{5}{x},\;\;g(x) \,=\,\dfrac{x}{x+5}\)

1. Find the functions: .\(\displaystyle f\!\circ\!g,\; g\!\circ\!f,\; f\!\circ\!f\), and \(\displaystyle g\!\circ\!g\), and their domains.

\(\displaystyle f\!\circ\!g \;=\;f(g(x)) \;=\;f\left(\frac{x}{x+5}\right) \;=\;\dfrac{5}{\frac{x}{x+5}} \;=\;\dfrac{5(x+5)}{x} \)

. . Domain: \(\displaystyle x\ne0\qquad (\text{-}\infty,0) \cup (0, \infty)\)

\(\displaystyle g\!\circ\!f \;=\;g(f(x)) \;=\;g\left(\frac{5}{x}\right) \;=\;\dfrac{\frac{5}{x}}{\frac{5}{x} + 5}\;=\;\dfrac{5}{5+5x} \;=\;\dfrac{1}{1+x} \)

. . Domain: .\(\displaystyle x \ne \text{-}1 \qquad (\text{-}\infty,\text{-}1) \cup (\text{-}1, \infty)\)

\(\displaystyle f\!\circ\!f \;=\;f(f(x)) \;=\;f\left(\frac{5}{x}\right) \;=\;\dfrac{5}{\frac{5}{x}} \;=\;x\)

. . Domain: .all real \(\displaystyle x\qquad (\text{-}\infty, \infty)\)

\(\displaystyle g\!\circ\!g \;=\;g(g(x)) \;=\;g\left(\frac{x}{x+5}\right) \;=\;\dfrac{\frac{x}{x+5}}{\frac{x}{x+5} + 5} \;=\;\dfrac{x}{x+5(x+5)} \;=\;\dfrac{x}{6x+25} \)

. . Domain: .\(\displaystyle x \ne \text{-}\frac{25}{6} \qquad \left(\text{-}\infty, \text{-}\frac{25}{6}\right) \cup \left(\text{-}\frac{26}{6},\infty\right)\)

After doing it several times i figured it out! But your explanation was great! Thank you sooooo much! Aprreciate it!

soroban and susu,

your domains are not worked out correctly. The domain of the input function
must also be considered when determining the overall domain of the composite.

First one:

\(\displaystyle Also, \ x \ne -5.\)

Second one:

\(\displaystyle Also, \ x \ne \ 0.\)

Third one:

\(\displaystyle x \ne \ 0.\)

Fourth one:

\(\displaystyle Also, \ x \ne \ -5\)

One of many sources:

http://www.sinclair.edu/centers/mat...116,117/CompositeFunctionsAndTheirDomains.pdf

Last edited: