Need help with these questions on Integration

Brpaulo

Hi I need help to solve these problems. Not sure whether I can use Integration by Partial Fractions or Completing the Square to approach these questions. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

integration assignment.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose we see what happens when we complete the square on the denominator of the integrand in the first problem. What would that look like?

I suppose that would give the quadratic formula, but I don't know how to proceed after that. If I tried to substitute the whole formula into x in the question, that makes the problem even more complicated to solve.

Last edited:
I suppose that would give the quadratic formula, but I don't know how to proceed after that. If I tried to substitute the whole formula into x in the question, that makes the problem even more complicated to solve.
Well, no, the quadratic formula tells what values of x make it zero. You wouldn't want to replace x with those constants.

Completing the square will change the expression to [MATH](x - h)^2 + k^2[/MATH] or [MATH](x - h)^2 - k^2[/MATH], where you can use h and k in place of the expressions you get in a, b, and c to keep things simple (until the end).

Do you know any way to integrate an expression with one of those forms in the denominator?

Well, let's complete the square on that denominator:

[MATH]ax^2+bx+c=a\left(x^2+\frac{b}{a}+\left(\frac{b}{2a}\right)^2\right)+c-\frac{b^2}{4a}=\frac{1}{4a}\left(\left(2ax+b\right)^2+\left(\sqrt{4ac-b^2}\right)^2\right)=\frac{1}{4a}\left(\left(\frac{2ax+b}{\sqrt{4ac-b^2}}\right)^2+1\right)[/MATH]
Can you proceed?