Need help with this formula please

Ale

[h=2]TRANSMITTER RANGE[/h] (10 points possible)
Imagine that we intend to communicate with a newly discovered civilization. They are at a distance of 87 light years from us.
If their radio receivers are similar to ours, they will be able to detect signals of about [FONT=MathJax_Main]8[FONT=MathJax_Main]×[FONT=MathJax_Main]10[FONT=MathJax_Main]−[FONT=MathJax_Main]33
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] watts per square meter. We will need to build a transmitter powerful enough that our signal will have this intensity when it arrives.
If we have built the transmitter correctly, we should be able to tell based on the intensity of the radio waves near the transmitter. What intensity should we expect the radio waves have at a distance of 1 meter from the transmitter?
Your answer should have units of watts per square meter.

[/FONT]

Proportionality problem (transmission loss)

Ale said:
TRANSMITTER RANGE

(10 points possible)
Imagine that we intend to communicate with a newly discovered civilization. They are at a distance of 87 light years from us.
If their radio receivers are similar to ours, they will be able to detect signals of about [FONT=MathJax_Main]8×[FONT=MathJax_Main]10[FONT=MathJax_Main]−33
[/FONT][/FONT] watts per square meter. We will need to build a transmitter powerful enough that our signal will have this intensity when it arrives.
If we have built the transmitter correctly, we should be able to tell based on the intensity of the radio waves near the transmitter. What intensity should we expect the radio waves have at a distance of 1 meter from the transmitter?

[/FONT]
Hi Ale,
Welcome to the forum. What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

As possible help has your teacher mentioned a particular kind of transmission loss which would be appropriate for this kind of problem, i.e. maybe spherical spreading loss which would mean that the signal strength would be proportional to the inverse distance squared [the inverse square law]?

If their radio receivers are similar to ours, they will be able to detect signals of about 8×10−33 watts per square meter. We will need to build a transmitter powerful enough that our signal will have this intensity when it arrives.

What formula did they give you in class for this? How far have you gotten in plugging into that formula? Where are you getting stuck?

Please be complete, starting with the formula and how its variables are defined. Thank you! ;)

TRANSMITTER RANGE

(10 points possible)
If their radio receivers are similar to ours, they will be able to detect signals of about [FONT=MathJax_Main]8[FONT=MathJax_Main]×[FONT=MathJax_Main]10[FONT=MathJax_Main]−[FONT=MathJax_Main]33
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] watts per square meter. We will need to build a transmitter powerful enough that our signal will have this intensity when it arrives.

[/FONT]
[h=2]TRANSMITTER RANGE[/h] (10 points possible)
Imagine that we intend to communicate with a newly discovered civilization. They are at a distance of 54 light years from us.
If their radio receivers are similar to ours, they will be able to detect signals of about [FONT=MathJax_Main]6[FONT=MathJax_Main]×[FONT=MathJax_Main]10[FONT=MathJax_Main]−[FONT=MathJax_Main]33

[/FONT]
I cannot get around to solve this problem every time i try I fail it it changes this is the problem that I currently need to solve .

I cannot get around to solve this problem every time i try I fail it it changes this is the problem that I currently need to solve .
Yes, we saw and read your post. Did you see or read our replies?