Need to create equation for parametric building

wrcollins

Hello,

I need to create book mounts that sit at 1" above their base. I would like to figure out an equation that I could plug in known variables and get the same answer. I have posted a picture to help describe what I need.

ex:

I have a book that is 7" tall. The book is held at a 45 degree angle. What height does the stem need to be in order for the cradle to sit 1" above the base. The stem is always 4" or 6" wide. I need to know what the tallest point of the stem needs to be. I need this equation to also work if I have a 15" book that is held at a 10 degree angle etc.

Known Variables:
  • The height of the book (which defines the height of the cradle)
  • The angle that the book needs to be held at
  • the width of the stem

Attachments

• BOOK CRADLE QUESTION.png
    BOOK CRADLE QUESTION.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 1
It would help if you would give a better description of the mechanics. For example, where the short side of the stem connects with the cradle, is there a hinge? Does the cradle slide on that point or just rotate? Does the length of the cradle vary? Details and a diagram showing two settings might be helpful.

Hi,
The short side of the stem intersects wherever the 4" base stops. This is different for every cradle because the length of the cradle is determined by the length of the book. The cradle and base both register flush the to backside of the stem. The cradle is stationary, held onto the base with two screws that are 1" apart, and 3/4" from the top of the cradle. I've attached a more detailed example of two arbitrary book dimensions.

Attachments

• book cradle ex.png
    book cradle ex.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 2