New editing problem

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
Lately, whenever I make a word bold or italic, or apply a color, or, as I just found out, a link, the same thing is done to every paragraph after the one I'm working in.

As a result, I have to undo the unwanted changes. Is this due to some recent upgrade to the software, or is it somehow just me?

As an example, I'm going to go back now and change the word "bold" to bold, and then post without further changes.

I just tested and got the same behavior you did, and I get this same behavior on my local dev site running the latest version of XenForo.

The only workaround I can suggest at present is to click the toolbar button on the far right to toggle BB Code, and manually add the tags you want.

I have run into a similar problem, but not I think exactly the same one.

I am having trouble with bolding within Math tags. But LaTeX is so fussy that it may be other issues. When it will not render, I tend to just eliminate anything not absolutely necessary to get it fixed.

I am not having trouble with bolding outside math tags if I (a) use select to identify exactly what text I want bolded, or (b) use the B and /B delimiters.

With delimiters, I am ok.

With select, I am ok.

… I am not having trouble with bolding … if I … use select to identify exactly what text I want bolded …
Jeff, you're highlighting the character string you want in bold, and then you're clicking the B button on the toolbar, correct?

What browser are you using?

\(\;\)

That's a good question I hadn't considered. I usually use Firefox, which is where I encountered the problem. Right now I'm on Chrome.

Now I'll go back and bold "Firefox", and make "Chrome" red, to see what happens.

Interesting. Nothing went wrong this time. It's a Firefox issue. Think I'll change my default. But it is still something that changed recently -- maybe an upgrade to Firefox rather than to XenForo.

Jeff, you're highlighting the character string you want in bold, and then you're clicking the B button on the toolbar, correct?

What browser are you using?

\(\;\)
Exactly although using the delimiters works as well. I try to avoid using delimiters because I somehow always manage to reverse / and \ or leave off a bracket.

Safari.

Firefox, which is where I encountered the problem … Think I'll change my default …
Firefox had two updates in the last 15 days. Since the last one (a couple days ago), I'm also experiencing the issue with duplicated tags.

However, I'm sticking with Firefox, for now. (Mozilla takes end-user privacy very seriously.) Sometimes, Chrome won't allow me to preview posts here; it claims that it's protecting my "personal data (credit card, telephone numbers, etc.)" because it perceives "unusual code", although Chrome has no problem with me simply posting the text without previewing it. I'm also not happy that Chrome now sends my page requests to more than 150 third-party sites for "analysis"; that's an issue, when I have to sit and wait for some of those third-party sites to respond before Chrome loads the page. The last straw happened a few months ago, when Chrome started intermittently denying me access to all web sites, claiming "irregular activity" on my ISP's network (AT&T).

I'll gladly switch to typing tags, to avoid ill affects from Alphabet soup!

?