NO ONE CAN ANSWER THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinz1982

I have a joint bank account with Mr X - it is an investment account. We evenly contribute to the account financially - 50/50. We then transfer monies from the investment account into a seperate "betting" account. The joint investment account would usually pay the $50.00 weekly "betting" contribution - but on this occasion i, myself, paid the full $50.00 from my private account.

The joint "investment" account now needs to properly indemnify me for the $50.00 i wholly funded. Obviously it wont repay me just $50 - as $25.00 of the $$ in the joint investment account are mine anyway.

Would it therefore pay me $75.00 or $100 to balance on all fronts...

Re: A simple tricky one

Unknown.
Insufficient Information.
Easily Proved.

Before Deposit $100 vs $100
You deposit $50
After Deposit $100 vs $150 -- You now have 3/5

Before Deposit $200 vs $200
You deposit $50
After Deposit $200 vs $250 -- You now have 5/9

You cannot separate where you end up from where you start.

sorry i didnt explain that right, did i.

The account i have with Mr X is an investment account. We evenly contribute. We transfer $$ from the investment account into a seperate "betting" account. The joint investment account would usually pay the $50.00 but on this occasion i, myself, paid the $50.00 from my private account.

The investment account now needs to properly indemnify me for the $50.00 i paid. Obviously it wont repay me just $50 - as $25.00 of those $$ are mine anyway.

dinz1982 said:
sorry i didnt explain that right, did i.

The account i have with Mr X is an investment account. We evenly contribute. We transfer $$ from the investment account into a seperate "betting" account. The joint investment account would usually pay the $50.00 but on this occasion i, myself, paid the $50.00 from my private account.

The investment account now needs to properly indemnify me for the $50.00 i paid. Obviously it wont repay me just $50 - as $25.00 of those $$ are mine anyway.

The simplest answer is to have Mr. X pay you $25. Otherwise you and Mr. X will argue about this all weekend.

cmon, that is the easy way out.... as is having mr x pay the next $50...... i want answers people, not alternative solutions!!

how can something so simple have everyone avoiding providing a response??

dinz1982 said:
cmon, that is the easy way out.... as is having mr x pay the next $50...... i want answers people, not alternative solutions!!

how can something so simple have everyone avoiding providing a response??

Take $50 out of the joint account and pay it to you. Everyone is in EXACTLY the same place as if the $50 had been paid from the investment account into the betting account. You have your $50 back, the investment account is depleted by $50, and the betting account is increased by $50.

I have a suspicion that this answer will not satisfy you, which was why I gave the answer I did.

Owww, you old deviate you... you must be Denis's mate. Brilliant minds contaminate in the same manner eh!!

I do like the logic of the answer squire, its the first reasoned answer ive received... cheers

Pip pip

It's Ok to mention that I am old, but here we prefer to call an interest in logical thinking a "quirk" rather than a "deviation."

Fussy, I admit.

And thanks for the squire hat: it fits nicely.

dinz1982 said:
i want answers people, not alternative solutions!!
No one is avoiding response. You, however, may be avoiding rationality.

1) Why did you pay the $50? That seems outside your agreement? Mr. X should be suspicious of your behavior?
2) What is your plan for any "winnings" before you solve he problem? You have, rather deliberately, created an imbalance.
3) Absent manners, one does not encourage volunteers to spend time thinking on ones problem.
4) Why does the investment account owe you anything? You're the one who unilaterally messed with the symmetry. Chalk it up to Mr. X's birthday gift and move on.
5) The investment account cannot pay in the direction you are suggesting. Funds are not segregated. Any payment received must be 50/50 or you will only perpetuate the problem.

These are all "answers". You may not find them satisfactory, but this hardly can be construed as "avoiding response".

Slightly hubris for someone who recommended using area of a circle = 2prh..... But thanks...

You have created many interesting questions in light of a request for a mathematical ANSWER...

You were given three correct answers, one by Denis and two by me.

As Newton once said, I can give you an answer, but I cannot give you an understanding.

Your whole problem is utterly spurious.

What does it take to put your personal account back in balance? $50 from the investment fund. End of story.
But you say that means your share of the investment account is down by $25 as is Mr. X's. True, but your share of the betting account is up by $25 as is Mr. X's. You moved money from your (joint) right pocket to your (joint) left pocket.

But you say that you and Mr. X ARE each down $25 because your $50 bet on Lucky Lucy went up in smoke when she came in sixth. So you and Mr. X are each down $25 BECAUSE OF YOUR LOSING BET, NOT BECAUSE OF YOUR SHUFFLING MONEY BETWEEN ACCOUNTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.