Norman Window

The use of words that is being discussed is not in your copying of the problem! Look back at post #9, where it was all explained. I'll repeat the ideas here.

This is what you said:

There's nothing technically wrong with your use of the word "perimeter" of the rectangle; the formula you use does give the perimeter. But then you don't actually follow that formula! What you are finding, when you use 4 in place of 2w, is the sum of the three sides of the rectangle that are part of the perimeter of the window. That's exactly right; you just didn't clearly state what you were doing. (If you were a teacher explaining this problem to a student, you would have a very confused student at this point!)

As for the semicircle, there is a technical error; a semicircle is a figure enclosed by an arc and a diameter, and its perimeter is the sum of the two. So rather than "perimeter of semicircle", you should have said "length of arc" or perhaps "arc length of semicircle". Nothing other than the word is wrong here.

I prefer not to talk at all about perimeters of parts of a figure, because those perimeters don't add up to make the perimeter of the whole figure (as areas would). Rather, I would just say that the perimeter of the figure is the sum of two vertical sides (6 in each), one horizontal side (4 in), and an arc (2π in). This is much cleaner, and communicates the concepts better. And what communicates better to others also communicates better to yourself, helping you to think correctly. That, of course, is your goal in practicing word problems, right? So recommendations about correct wording are for your good, not criticisms to defend yourself against.

By the way, assuming you quoted the problem fully and exactly, and there was no picture (I suspect there was), the problem is poorly stated, as it talked only about the length and width (long and short sides) of the rectangle, without indicating clearly which is vertical. I'm pretty sure you've got it right, though, because I've seen pictures of this sort of problem many times, and the long side is typically vertical.

What a great reply. I truly appreciate your help and guidance. Please, check your PM.