Number series

Saumyojit

7, 9, 12, 48, ?, 890

A
B
C

Please help me with the logic give a hint ..
I tried with various ways.

It would be very helpful if you would give an example of a solved puzzle from the same context, to suggest what kind of pattern they might be looking for. Was there any explanation or instructions attached to this?

But even with that, this is essentially a mind-reading exercise (unless there was an obvious pattern). Since the intended pattern probably has to be relatively complicated, you would need more terms than this to have any confidence in an answer.

It would be very helpful if you would give an example of a solved puzzle from the same context, to suggest what kind of pattern they might be looking for. Was there any explanation or instructions attached to this?

But even with that, this is essentially a mind-reading exercise (unless there was an obvious pattern). Since the intended pattern probably has to be relatively complicated, you would need more terms than this to have any confidence in an answer.
The answer is one of the three options so if u have a pattern and you find out the unknown number (one of the three options)
Then your pattern is right.
As simple as that.
What is so complex about this .

That's why the options are given

The answer is one of the three options so if u have a pattern and you find out the unknown number (one of the three options)
Then your pattern is right.
As simple as that.
What is so complex about this .

That's why the options are given
What is so complex about this is that the question does not have a correct answer. There are an infinite number of answers. Questions of this sort that are multiple choice are really, really stupid because they imply FALSELY that there is a unique correct answer.

You guys are right but the simple thing is that here you have to find a specific pattern Which will be giving a no out of those three options.
So, help me to find that pattern.

You guys are right but the simple thing is that here you have to find a specific pattern Which will be giving a no out of those three options.
So, help me to find that pattern.
I can find a pattern that matches any of the proposed answers. These questions are so stupid. What is really intended is ”simple” pattern, but “simple” is a subjective concept. What does the idiot who wrote the question consider simple!

Try a quintic function on the integers 1, 2, 3, 4,, 5 and 6. There is one that will work for every proposed answer. Of course, I suspect that these quizzes follow lessons that give specific techniques for finding patterns that are considered “simple” by the authors.

7*1+1*2

9*2 - 2*3

12*3 + 3*4

48*4 - 4*5 =172 answer

172*5+5*6= 890

First loop b=0 a=0 c =1

Syntax:
Previous term * (b+1) + or - (a+1)*(c +1)

Addition and subtraction will happen Alternatively

The question and logic is right.

Last edited:
The question is inane.
But after seeing the solution I find a consistent pattern and I think the question is right.
What do U find wrong or insane in the solution.
Just check the Syntax of the pattern given above.

There are an infinite number of patterns that will work. Therefore to say that one of them is correct is nonsense. To imply to students that one them is the correct answer is to mislead students. Do you want me to find a pattern that works for one of the other proposed answers?

There are an infinite number of patterns that will work. Therefore to say that one of them is correct is nonsense. To imply to students that one them is the correct answer is to mislead students. Do you want me to find a pattern that works for one of the other proposed answers?
I gave the logic above .

You gave A logic that gives one of the proposed answers and ignored the infinite number of different logics that give the other proposed answers.

If the question is “Who is the person who lives in the Republic of India,” do you think that is sensible question? If you say that the only correct answer is ”Subrahmanyam Jaishankar is the person who lives in the Republic of India,” do you think that is a logical answer, given that quite a few other people live in India.

You have picked a reason to pick one answer and ignored the alternative reasons to pick an alternative answer. This is horrible teaching.

You gave A logic that gives one of the proposed answers and ignored the infinite number of different logics that give the other proposed answers.

If the question is “Who is the person who lives in the Republic of India,” do you think that is sensible question? If you say that the only correct answer is ”Subrahmanyam Jaishankar is the person who lives in the Republic of India,” do you think that is a logical answer, given that quite a few other people live in India.

You have picked a reason to pick one answer and ignored the alternative reasons to pick an alternative answer. This is horrible teaching.
The options are given in such a way that the other options will not be coming , Even if you find infinite no of different patterns also.

The question makers have graduated from top B schools in India.
Search IIM Ahmedabad and see the reputation of the college.
Most of the MNCs which come in this College are from Usa Singapore

The options are given in such a way that the other options will not be coming , Even if you find infinite no of different patterns also.

The question makers have graduated from top B schools in India.
Search IIM Ahmedabad and see the reputation of the college.
Most of the MNCs which come in this College are from Usa Singapore
Well, I would have fired them on the spot for such stupidity. It merely proves the limited value of credentials.

And you are wrong: there are patterns that generate the alternative answers. If you do not understand that, you have missed the whole point of my responses.

The question is beautiful as a game. Its problem is that there are no relationship between the numbers, [MATH]7, 9, 12, 48,[/MATH] and [MATH]172,[/math] and [math]890[/MATH]

The question is beautiful as a game. Its problem is that there are no relationship between the numbers, [MATH]7, 9, 12, 48,[/MATH] and [MATH]172,[/math] and [math]890[/MATH]
See post no 9 .
There is a pattern which gives the answer 172

See post no 9 .
There is a pattern which gives the answer 172
This is not a pattern. A pattern is something that you can express with a sequence formula or summation formula.

Something like this

[MATH]a_k = \frac{(-1)^k}{k3^k}[/MATH]
A pattern means that there is a relationship between [MATH]a_{96}[/MATH] and [MATH]a_{97}[/MATH] with one formula.

Therefore, give me one single formula that generates those numbers you have given, then I will agree with you it has a pattern. Otherwise, it is just a game of imagination.