Number theory image

matqkks

Are there any good images that can be used as a hook for an elementary number theory course?

There is such a thing as number theory fractals.
.image.png
Also, didn't OP say "a hook?" My geometry book had a fractal on the front, and it never said a word about fractals.

There is such a thing as number theory fractals.

Number theory is about the natural numbers. That's it. Give me an example of a "number theory fractal"

The Sierpinski thing you had a pic of isn't one.

How's this?
image.png
Number theory visual from Wikipedia.
Hrm. Rather fractal-like..........

Number theory is about the natural numbers. That's it. Give me an example of a "number theory fractal"

The Sierpinski thing you had a pic of isn't one.

Frac-tal (noun)

a curve or geometric figure, each part of which has the same statistical character as the whole. Fractals are useful in modeling structures (such as eroded coastlines or snowflakes) in which similar patterns recur at progressively smaller scales, and in describing partly random or chaotic phenomena such as crystal growth, fluid turbulence, and galaxy formation.

Number Theory (noun)
the branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, especially the positive integers.

Combine them, and you with have an accurate, albeit rather informal definition.

As for the "Sierpinski thing," is is from a blog that discusses the properties of Pascal's triangle and number theory in regards to the Sierpinski fractal.

Last edited: