Number

Ryan$

Hi guys, I've thought millions of times before posting like this post but really I believe to understand me that I'm so seriously and not making a joke or something.

I've recently started university and every time I'm facing this problem and I would like by you guys really to overcome on that problem.

what's Number?! I mean since we do manipulations on numbers like 5+1 =6 and other manipulations on numbers ..may anyone explain or analog me the definition of number at all?!

for example I can't do "label 1" + 1 = ?! (not known) and because "label 1" isn't a number it's label, but I missunderstanding the concept/term of definition a number ..so please may anyone illustrate that point what's number?!!

thanks in advance for you all

Surely in primary school, if not sooner, you were introduced to the idea of counting things, like rods or blocks? And you saw that if you have one set of blocks, that you counted as "1, 2, 3, 4, 5", so there were "5" blocks in the set, and saw that if you put one more block in the set that you now had "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" so there were now "6" blocks in the set: 5+ 1= 6. That's all numbers are in the most basic sense. Of course we then extend the definitions to include the "integers", "rational numbers", "real numbers", "complex numbers", etc. but that would take a whole text book.

Surely in primary school, if not sooner, you were introduced to the idea of counting things, like rods or blocks? And you saw that if you have one set of blocks, that you counted as "1, 2, 3, 4, 5", so there were "5" blocks in the set, and saw that if you put one more block in the set that you now had "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6" so there were now "6" blocks in the set: 5+ 1= 6. That's all numbers are in the most basic sense. Of course we then extend the definitions to include the "integers", "rational numbers", "real numbers", "complex numbers", etc. but that would take a whole text book.

good approach to convince me, but what does the term "counting things" mean? since you said 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... I can say label 1, label 2, label 3, label 4, label 5, label 6 ...... i.e words I'm asking the definition of "number" or what does it ("number") stand for?

I've recently started university and every time I'm facing this problem and I would like by you guys really to overcome on that problem.
Well Ryan, why don't you ask the university's math teacher(s)?
Wouldn't that be easier?

Hi guys, I've thought millions of times before posting like this post but really I believe to understand me that I'm so seriously and not making a joke or something.

what's Number?! I mean since we do manipulations on numbers like 5+1 =6 and other manipulations on numbers ..may anyone explain or analog me the definition of number at all?!

for example I can't do "label 1" + 1 = ?! (not known) and because "label 1" isn't a number it's label, but I missunderstanding the concept/term of definition a number ..so please may anyone illustrate that point what's number?!!

thanks in advance for you all
Numbers are ideas that we use to identify similarities among sets.

I see a set of red balls, a set of red sweaters, a set of red flags. Those are sets of different types of things, but the sets have something in common, namely color, more specifically the color red.

I see a set of three balls, a set of three sweaters, a set of three flags. Those are sets of different types of things, but the sets have something in common, namely number, more specifically the number three.

As we work with that number idea, we find that related ideas are useful too so we create new kinds of numbers like fractions and negative numbers. Numbers are ideas that have been found useful in thinking about the world around us.

Numbers are ideas that we use to identify similarities among sets.

I see a set of red balls, a set of red sweaters, a set of red flags. Those are sets of different types of things, but the sets have something in common, namely color, more specifically the color red.

I see a set of three balls, a set of three sweaters, a set of three flags. Those are sets of different types of things, but the sets have something in common, namely number, more specifically the number three.

As we work with that number idea, we find that related ideas are useful too so we create new kinds of numbers like fractions and negative numbers. Numbers are ideas that have been found useful in thinking about the world around us.

thanks!!