Numerical Evaluation of Integral

ViceCityYayo

Untitled.png

I am trying to evaluate the integral numerically using 96 point Gaussian quadrature, but the singularity is causing me issues. Any suggestions to handle this?
Thanks.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
The singularities occur at the endpoints, x= -1 and x= 1. Technically that is equal to \(\displaystyle \lim_{\alpha\to -1}\int_{\alpha}^0 f(x)dx+ \lim_{\beta\to 1}\int_0^\beta f(x)dx\). (The "0" can be any number between -1 and 1.)

Since a numerical integral will be an approximation anyway, take the integral from slightly larger than -1 to slightly less than 1.

ViceCityYayo

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I am mistaken, but since this is a double integral, and with Gauss-Legendre quadrature we have evaluation with the same values of each variable, this causes the denominator to be 0 at each evaluation. So even if the singularity is skipped over, then we still have a divergent result. Is it valid, as an approximation, to simply choose slightly different values, eg. I = I + w(i)*w(j)*f[x(i), 0.999...999*x(j)]? Also, are you familiar with any 2D quadrature rules that use different evaluation points intrinsically? Thanks.

Last edited: