Obtaining Angle

DaRafster

I"m aware all the angles of a triangle can only add up to 180 degrees.

In the attached image, to solve for angle α, I used this formula:

180 - (70 + 60) = 50 degrees

However, I found angle K, not α.

So how would I find the angle? - I know I'm wrong after looking at the answer - which is 130 degrees btw

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 5
Where did you get your formula? What does it claim to give you?

The fact you mention about the sum of interior angles implies that LKM + 70 + 60 = 180, so that LKM = 180 - (70 + 60) = 50. That justifies your statement that you found "K", assuming you mean LKM.

But angle alpha is the supplement of LKM, which is 180 - 50 = 130 (NOT 30).

There is a theorem, easily proved from the fact you mentioned, that an exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the other interior angles; so that alpha = 70 + 60 = 130. Can you see how this follows?

Where did you get your formula? What does it claim to give you?

The fact you mention about the sum of interior angles implies that LKM + 70 + 60 = 180, so that LKM = 180 - (70 + 60) = 50. That justifies your statement that you found "K", assuming you mean LKM.

But angle alpha is the supplement of LKM, which is 180 - 50 = 130 (NOT 30).

There is a theorem, easily proved from the fact you mentioned, that an exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the other interior angles; so that alpha = 70 + 60 = 130. Can you see how this follows?

Thank you, I can see where this is going. Sorry about the typo btw.
]

Thank you, I can see where this is going. Sorry about the typo btw.
To DaRafster, The external angle theorem states: The measure of any exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the measures of the opposite interior angles. You should try to prove that. This question is testing your knowledge of that theorem.

what you call angle k and angle a form a straight line, so what is the sum of these two angles? If you know k, then can't you find a?
Do you know a theorem that you can use to get that angle a = 60+70?
Do you know why the sum of the angles in any triangle adds up to 180?