Odds in favour

mmk

Suppose the odds of the TorontoMaple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup are1:5, while the odds of the MontréalCanadiens winning the Stanley Cup are2:13. What are the odds in favour of eitherToronto or Montréal winning the StanleyCup? i dont have an idea of what to do here?

Suppose the odds of the TorontoMaple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup are1:5, while the odds of the MontréalCanadiens winning the Stanley Cup are2:13. What are the odds in favour of eitherToronto or Montréal winning the StanleyCup? i dont have an idea of what to do here?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

I would first translate from odds into probabilities, and then consider the rule for "or" in probabilities. What have you learned about that?

Reactions: mmk
The OR rule in probability is explained here (in just the terms you are looking for too 😉).

Further information (eg: on the
AND rule) is also available by following the links on the left-hand side of that web page.

Hope that helps. 😊

Last edited:
If there are a total of [imath]5[/imath] outcomes, and if the number of possible ways to win = [imath]2[/imath] and the number of ways to lose = [imath]3[/imath], the Odds of winning are [imath]2:3[/imath].

If there are a total of [imath]5[/imath] outcomes, and if the number of possible ways to win = [imath]2[/imath] and the number of ways to lose = [imath]3[/imath], then Odds of winning are [imath]2:3[/imath].
What are the 5 outcomes and why exactly 3 ways to win?

If there are a total of [imath]5[/imath] outcomes, and if the number of possible ways to win = [imath]2[/imath] and the number of ways to lose = [imath]3[/imath], the Odds of winning are [imath]2:3[/imath].
I'm not sure I understand the point of your post. 🤔

Could you. perhaps, explain it and its relevance to this thread? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks.

Thanks.
There are nothing but If's in the post. The conclusion does follow but as you said, is it relevant to this thread?

Thanks.
There are nothing but If's in the post. The conclusion does follow but as you said, is it relevant to this thread?
My understanding is that he is trying to explain what "odds" means, in case that is the OP's difficulty.

We have no idea yet what sort of help is actually needed.

My understanding is that he is trying to explain what "odds" means, in case that is the OP's difficulty.

We have no idea yet what sort of help is actually needed.
Herr Doktor, correct diagnosis!

Thanks.
I came to the, mayhaps erroneous, conclusion that the OP needed clarity on what odds mean.

Gracias for your questions.

I came to the, mayhaps erroneous, conclusion that the OP needed clarity on what odds mean.
It's been a week now since the original post and there's been no further contribution from the original poster, so I expect s/he was given an answer s/he was happy with elsewhere or has just lost interest so it doesn't matter much whether your post caused any confusion or not.

As was mentioned earlier, what she really needed (if anything) was advice on how to convert odds into probabilities so that the original query might be answered using P(A or B), the probability that one of two mutually exclusive events might occur given that the probability of each occurring separately is known.

The the odds of the Toronto Maple Leafs winning the Stanley Cup were given as 1:5, so the probability of that event occuring would be:
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\) (let's call that A) whilst the odds of the Montréal Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup were given as 2:13, so the probability of that event occuring would be: \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{15}\) (let's call that B).

P(A or B) ≡ P(A) + P(B) = \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{15}=\frac{7}{30}\) (in this case).

Therefore, the odds of one of those two teams winning the Stanley Cup (in the situation presented to us) would be 7:23.

(Since both 7 and 23 are prime numbers those odds cannot be simplified or made to look any prettier! 🤔🤷‍♂️)