One vertex of the square is located at (3, 5) on the coordinate grid.

Then got Steve's lead that came with a very negative comment that hurt. Don't ask too much and do your exercises on your own.
eddy,
You need to try these on your own. Not just read it and then post that you can't do it. You need to think about it on your own. Look at the problem sideways, upside down, inside out and think about what is going on. Then think some more about it. Dream about it. Ponder it for days, if necessary. That is how you are going to learn to do math on your own. After truly thinking about it for awhile, then come here and ask questions if you have any.

Lev, thank you for your tip. It led me to the solution.
Is the problem asking to "pick one point that could be another vertex"? (easy)
Or "Write an equation that describes all possible locations of another vertex"? (advanced)

eddy,
You need to try these on your own. Not just read it and then post that you can't do it. You need to think about it on your own. Look at the problem sideways, upside down, inside out and think about what is going on. Then think some more about it. Dream about it. Ponder it for days, if necessary. That is how you are going to learn to do math on your own. After truly thinking about it for awhile, then come here and ask questions if you have any.
Okay, I agree. What if I don't see how to start towards a solution. That happens to me a lot.

Can I ask at least for resources like you tutors sometimes send. A video dealing with something similar, etc. I always search the net for answers before I post when I don't get something. It's when I don't find anything that I post the problem. Besides, dropping a clue doesn't take a lot of time for you. I know you all do this for free and you have axlot of posts. You can drop a hint when you have the time
I don't need instant help. Okay, thank you Steve.
On the other hand, there are some other tutors who have helped me. Like BBB, the Highlander, and another one who has helped me. They have not complained a bit. They just help with a happiness that can encourage the most mathematically depressed persons. So maybe they want to jump and drop me something. There are some other students who may help. I myself have dropped hints to others.

Last edited:
Can I ask at least for resources like you tutors sometimes send. A video dealing with something similar, etc. I always search the net for answers before I post when I don't get something. It's when I don't find anything that I post the problem. Besides, dropping a clue doesn't take a lot of time for you. I know you all do this for free and you have axlot of posts. You can drop a hint when you have the time
On the other hand, there are some other tutors who have helped me. Like BBB, the Highlander, and another one who has helped me. They have not complained a bit. They just help with a happiness that can encourage the most mathematically depressed persons. So maybe they want to jump and drop me something. There are some other students who may help. I myself have dropped hints to others.
Let it work as a forum. Most of the students who post here are high schoolers and higher. My math is low level. Maybe someone want to help. If they're wrong correct them.

Eddy

Consider this. There is nothing wrong with looking things up; I do it daily. But searching the internet is not developing your mathematical skills and intuition. I suspect that you are trying to memorize hundreds of templates for very specific problems. When you see a problem that does not fit into a template that you recognize quickly, you default to the internet. That process will not help you one bit when you run into a new problem on a test.

Most of us probably do not, and certainly I do not, usually “see” how to find a solution when confronted with a new type of problem. I have some routines that I have found helpful when confronted with something mathematically new, and the most important of those is to TRY things, not one thing but multiple things. This problem is about a coordinate plane. I would instantly sketch one even though I have no clue what to do with it yet. It is also about a square with a perimeter of 36 units. That means each side has length of 9 units. (You did that, which was good, but then you apparently stopped.) You are told where one corner of that square is located. Mark that point on the sketch of the plane.

Now lev made an interesting point. Are we to find just one possible point for a second corner, or are we to find a formula for finding all of them? Obviously the first problem is considerably easier than the second. But I’d start by trying to draw just one square with length of 9 units from my initial point for both problems. Maybe trying to draw a square with one corner pinned will provide insight.

You are always looking for insight, and the best way to find insight ON YOUR OWN is to try as many things as seem relevant. Frankly, had you tried all three of those fairly obvious efforts rather than just one, I‘d bet a lot that you would have quickly solved this problem on your own.

Now I want to be fair. I have much more mathematical experience than you so I will dream up a lot more things to try than you will. But the point is the same: to solve a problem requires insight, and insight comes from trying DIFFERENT things.

Eddy

Consider this. There is nothing wrong with looking things up; I do it daily. But searching the internet is not developing your mathematical skills and intuition. I suspect that you are trying to memorize hundreds of templates for very specific problems. When you see a problem that does not fit into a template that you recognize quickly, you default to the internet. That process will not help you one bit when you run into a new problem on a test.

Most of us probably do not, and certainly I do not, usually “see” how to find a solution when confronted with a new type of problem. I have some routines that I have found helpful when confronted with something mathematically new, and the most important of those is to TRY things, not one thing but multiple things. This problem is about a coordinate plane. I would instantly sketch one even though I have no clue what to do with it yet. It is also about a square with a perimeter of 36 units. That means each side has length of 9 units. (You did that, which was good, but then you apparently stopped.) You are told where one corner of that square is located. Mark that point on the sketch of the plane.

Now lev made an interesting point. Are we to find just one possible point for a second corner, or are we to find a formula for finding all of them? Obviously the first problem is considerably easier than the second. But I’d start by trying to draw just one square with length of 9 units from my initial point for both problems. Maybe trying to draw a square with one corner pinned will provide insight.

You are always looking for insight, and the best way to find insight ON YOUR OWN is to try as many things as seem relevant. Frankly, had you tried all three of those fairly obvious efforts rather than just one, I‘d bet a lot that you would have quickly solved this problem on your own.

Now I want to be fair. I have much more mathematical experience than you so I will dream up a lot more things to try than you will. But the point is the same: to solve a problem requires insight, and insight comes from trying DIFFERENT things.
Okay. I will do that. I have always followed your advise but when I am stuck like stuck stuck I need to ask you. You don't need to answer immediately. Take your time.
If you see me post something is not demanding instant help or attention. Not at all. And don't forget this. There are different type of learners!. Not everyone learn the same way or absorb knowledge in the same manner. And then there are the naturally gifted persons for retain fields of knowledge and so forth and so on
Okay, I think the problem into the ground before I ask a question.
Thanks everyone. Thanks,Jeff.

You don't need to answer immediately. Take your time.
If you see me post something is not demanding instant help or attention. Not at all. And don't forget this.
I don't think the tutors are concerned about supplying you with rapid responses.

The advice given by the tutors (to think yourself) is purely intended to improve your math skills. I'd recommend that you think yourself for around 10 or 15 mins total. Then, if you're still stuck, then ask for help at that point (you should avoid becoming frustrated).

NOTE: It would be very easy for you to say something like, "I thought about this for 15 mins" in your next post. But it would be so much better to post WHAT you thought about. For example, "I looked up the definition of perimeter and it was...". Or "I thought about the distance from the given vertex to another vertex, and it must be equivalent to the length of one of the square's edges or the diagonal" etc.

This way, you'll have more chance to experience the joy of having that "light bulb moment" when you suddenly see the way to solve a problem. Then, you're much more likely to remember the method if you come across a similar problem again.

I don't think the tutors are concerned about supplying you with rapid responses.

The advice given by the tutors (to think yourself) is purely intended to improve your math skills. I'd recommend that you think yourself for around 10 or 15 mins total. Then, if you're still stuck, then ask for help at that point (you should avoid becoming frustrated).

NOTE: It would be very easy for you to say something like, "I thought about this for 15 mins" in your next post. But it would be so much better to post WHAT you thought about. For example, "I looked up the definition of perimeter and it was...". Or "I thought about the distance from the given vertex to another vertex, and it must be equivalent to the length of one of the square's edges or the diagonal" etc.

This way, you'll have more chance to experience the joy of having that "light bulb moment" when you suddenly see the way to solve a problem. Then, you're much more likely to remember the method if you come across a similar problem again.
Thank you, Cubist. That is a great advice!. ?
You hit the nail right on the head. I don't want to be frustrated. I'll do that. Thanks again

Okay, I agree. What if I don't see how to start towards a solution. That happens to me a lot.
If you don't know how to start a solution, then sure you can come here for help. But only after you really thought about it. This will help you in the end.

eddy,
Help does not always come in the form of getting hints. Help also comes in the form of asking someone to think about the problem more.
I had a professor in graduate school who would never give us a hint. He wanted us to be strong and solve the problem on our own.