optimization

jas14

A rectangular swimming pool is to be built with an area of 1800 square feet. The owner wants 5-foot wood decks along either side and 10-foot wood decks along the other 2 ends. Find dimensions of the smallest piece of property on which the pool can be built to satisfy these conditions.

have no clue

The area = L*W = 1800.
With the decks the new Area is
A = (L+2*10)(W+2*5)
Substitute L from the first equation then find dA/dW = 0

The original area of the pool is

L. W = 1800

rewrite this to get a variable by itself

L = 1800/W

The new area is ststed by the following....

A = (W +(2 * 5) ) . ( L + (2*10) )

now sub in the l = 1800/W to have an equation with one variable and do dA/dW

jas14 said:
A rectangular swimming pool is to be built with an area of 1800 square feet. The owner wants 5-foot wood decks along either side and 10-foot wood decks along the other 2 ends. Find dimensions of the smallest piece of property on which the pool can be built to satisfy these conditions.

have no clue
Please don't post problems multiple times. It is VERY irritating. Now FOUR people have spent time on this simple problem. One would have been quite sufficient.

when did i submit the problem 4 times? it only appears on my computer once.

anyway, i got the euation to be A= 2000 +10L+3600L^-1. i just dont know how to find th zeros with this equation.

jas14 said:
when did i submit the problem 4 times? it only appears on my computer once.

anyway, i got the euation to be A= 2000 +10L+3600L^-1. i just dont know how to find th zeros with this equation.
You posted the problem twice, on different sites. Two people responded on both sites. 2+2 = 4.

I do not believe that you "got the equation." Soroban gave it to you. Just like on the other site, you still have to find the derivative. Any chance?