Overdrafts: Admin Charges and the True Cost of Borrowing

OB1M

Lender: For an unarranged overdraft you will be charged 18.9% EAR (variable), capped at $5 per month plus, a fee of $5 for each transaction we pay or return, capped at $45 per month.

The quoted EAR for the unarranged overdraft does not represent the true cost of borrowing because Admin charges apply. To determine the true cost I used a mixture of calculation and a trusted calculator. To find the size of overdraft that creates the cap of $5 I used the calculator entering 18.9% with a term of 30 days, and then nudged up the overdraft amount bit by bit until the interest became to $5. The size of overdraft worked out at $349.00.

Next, I took a worst case scenario of nine transactions of one cent, which resulted in admin charges of $45. The size of the overdraft went up to $349.09. To find what interest rate equated to $5 + $45 for this overdraft I used the calculator but it would not accept an EAR value over 100%.

Instead, I used the equation behind the calculator in an Excel spreadsheet that looked like this:

50 = 349.09*POWER(1+4.097,30/365)-349.09

The EAR value ended at 4.097 after being manually nudged up bit by bit starting at 0.189 (18.9%). The true cost of borrowing was therefore 409.7%. Did I actually find the true cost and how could I have avoided the trial and error iteration?

Last edited by a moderator: