Parabola questions

angietae11

Hello!

I'm currently working on a summative that I've been stuck on for weeks. I have two questions in particular that I'd really like to get solved, I'm just not sure where to start or how to go about solving it.

The questions are:

a) Why is it possible to predict that the ‘b-value’ in standard form will be a positive number?

b) Using substitution, determine the height of the fountain at x= 7.

The fountain in question (ha!) is this: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/srl2p3qpqj

I genuinely have no clue what to do. I'm stuck.

Thank you all so so much!!

Hello!

I'm currently working on a summative that I've been stuck on for weeks. I have two questions in particular that I'd really like to get solved, I'm just not sure where to start or how to go about solving it.

The questions are:

a) Why is it possible to predict that the ‘b-value’ in standard form will be a positive number?

b) Using substitution, determine the height of the fountain at x= 7.

The fountain in question (ha!) is this: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/srl2p3qpqj

I genuinely have no clue what to do. I'm stuck.

Thank you all so so much!!
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem

My apology!
As I said in the second last line, I am stuck. I have been googling ways to complete this question, and haven't gotten anywhere. Thats why I came to this website!
Anything helps, frankly I don't know much about b-values and substitution in this sense.

My apology!
As I said in the second last line, I am stuck. I have been googling ways to complete this question, and haven't gotten anywhere. Thats why I came to this website!
Anything helps, frankly I don't know much about b-values and substitution in this sense.

Can you tell us your understanding of the "b-value"? What are they referring to?

Can you tell us your understanding of the "b-value"? What are they referring to?

I have only been googling to try and get an understanding of these things, I haven't put anything to the test. I believe the b-value is what makes the parabola go from left to right. For the first question I'm not really understanding how the b-value can be positive let alone how you can predict that. What is an indicator that lets you predict if it's positive or negative?
For the second question I don't know what substitution is. I'm not really understanding what x=7 means either! I'd ask my teacher but I know I'd get lashed out at.

I have only been googling to try and get an understanding of these things, I haven't put anything to the test. I believe the b-value is what makes the parabola go from left to right. For the first question I'm not really understanding how the b-value can be positive let alone how you can predict that. What is an indicator that lets you predict if it's positive or negative?
For the second question I don't know what substitution is. I'm not really understanding what x=7 means either! I'd ask my teacher but I know I'd get lashed out at.
Can you write the general equation of a parabola?

Can you write a general quadratic equation?