Partial Derivates

EllieJones

123.png
Hello, I missed my last lesson about partial derivates, so I'm kinda clueless about this subject and I'm stuck with this problem. I tried solving it, but I'm sure my answer is 100% wrong. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
20201123_220132.jpgP

Here's a better way to think of partial derivatives.
Remember the quadratic ax2+bx+c? You can take the partial derivative with respect to x, and get 2ax+b.

For this problem, you're incorrectly taking the derivative. Recall that for the product rule,
[MATH](uv)'=uv'+u'v[/MATH]You've done
[MATH](uv)'=u'v'[/MATH] which is incorrect.

View attachment 23308
Hello, I missed my last lesson about partial derivates, so I'm kinda clueless about this subject and I'm stuck with this problem. I tried solving it, but I'm sure my answer is 100% wrong. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
View attachment 23309P
1606160299764.png

It will be simpler for you, if you simplify the function by multiplying it out and then differentiate.

f(r,s,t) = r4*s*t + r*s3*t + r*s*t5

df/dr = 4*s*t*r3 + s3*t + s*t5

df/ds = r4*t + r*(3 * s2)*t + r*t5

......... continue......

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mistake was that you did not use the product rule as implied by "anon_hedgepig" (I love that user name!). \(\displaystyle rst(r^3+ s^2+ t^4)]_s= (rst)_s(r^3+ s^2+ t^4)+ (rst)(r^3+ s^2+ t^4)_s= (rt)(r^3+ s^2+ t^4)+ (rst)(2s)= r^4t+rs^2t+rt^5+2rs^2t=r^4t+ 3rs^2t+ rt^5\).

That is the same as if you wrote the function as \(\displaystyle r^4st+ rs^3t+ rst^5\) so the derivative is \(\displaystyle r^4t+ 3rs^2t+ rt^5\).

You understand perfectly how to do partial derivatives (treat r and t as constants). What you do not know how to do is to compute the derivative of a product which is NOT the product of the derivative.