Partial Functions Integration

hieurock

What is done to be able to get from the first step to the second step in the attached photo? I am not sure how exactly it was derived. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5E1A46FD-7568-4B6E-AF67-A03391E28FD6.jpeg
    5E1A46FD-7568-4B6E-AF67-A03391E28FD6.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 8
What is done to be able to get from the first step to the second step in the attached photo? I am not sure how exactly it was derived. Thanks in advance.
They have used the method of partial fractions (not functions).

Assume:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x * (3x + 1)} \ = \ \frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{3x+1}\) .......................then

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x * (3x + 1)} \ = \ \frac{3A*x + A + B*x}{x * (3x +1)} \ \)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x * (3x + 1)} \ = \frac{x * (3A + B) + A}{x * (3x +1)}\).......................then

equating components of 'x' in The numerator and denominator of LHS and RHS, we get

3A + B = 0 ......... and

A = 1

Solve for 'A' and 'B' and use in

\(\displaystyle \frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{3x+1}\)

If you are still stuck - write back showing your work.

Reactions: lex
[MATH]\frac{4}{x(3x+1)}= \frac{?}{x} + \frac{?}{3x+1}[/MATH]To find what number goes over the x, put your finger over the x in the expression on the left hand side. Put in 0 for x: answer is [MATH]\frac{4}{3\times 0 + 1}=4[/MATH]To find what number goes over the (3x+1), put your finger over the (3x+1) in the expression on the left hand side. Put in [MATH]-\frac{1}{3}[/MATH] for x:
answer is [MATH]\frac{4}{-\frac{1}{3}}=-12[/MATH]
(Note: the number you are substituting in for x is the number which makes the covered expression=0.
This method works when you have different linear terms on the bottom e.g. (2x+1)(x)(x-2) etc...)
However you should look up and study the general methods for partial fractions.

Hey guys. I have a question here.

Why [MATH]y[/MATH] is a function of [MATH]1/x[/MATH], ie [MATH]f(\frac{1}{x})[/MATH], instead of [MATH]f(x)[/MATH]?

I am not comfortable of this function. Can I just transform it into [MATH]f(u)[/MATH], for example? If yes, how would I do that?

Hey guys. I have a question here.

Why [MATH]y[/MATH] is a function of [MATH]1/x[/MATH], ie [MATH]f(\frac{1}{x})[/MATH], instead of [MATH]f(x)[/MATH]?

I am not comfortable of this function. Can I just transform it into [MATH]f(u)[/MATH], for example? If yes, how would I do that?
Remember, OP was NOT about INTEGRATION - but about partial fraction.

Sure you can transform it - but that would not answer OP directly.